public inbox for fortran@gcc.gnu.org
* gfortran.org
@ 2023-11-15 20:55 Hans Weber
From: Hans Weber @ 2023-11-15 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fortran

Hallo,

the domain

www.gfortran.org

is now used for an investment advertising site.

So I think that the link to gfortran.org(which leads to the advertising site)  should be removed from the Wiki page.

Best wishes,
Johann

* Re: gfortran.org
@ 2021-11-06 13:49 ` Bud Davis
From: Bud Davis @ 2021-11-06 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manfred Schwarb; +Cc: fortran, Bud Davis, Paul Richard Thomas, Jerry D

greetings to all,

my ownership of gfortran.org has lapsed and it is now owned by a
"speculator".  it appears to be available for $99, if someone is
interested.

gfortran.com is paid until June 25th, 2024.  this one is set to auto-renew,
whereas gfortran.org was not.

it redirects to http://gfortran.meteodat.ch , as it has for several years.

if someone wants the domain, I will transfer it.

Regards,
Bud Davis

On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 4:15 AM Manfred Schwarb <manfred99@gmx.ch> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> for quite some time, there was a forwarding from http://gfortran.org to my
> dumping ground http://gfortran.meteodat.ch.
>
> At the moment, at least for me, this domain points to some gaming blog.
> Does anybody know what is going on?
> There were some ideas what do with this domain at some point (Jerry,
> Paul?).
>
> Bud, are you still owner of this domain? Do you have some plans what to do
> with it?
>
> Cheers,
> Manfred
>

> PS: the domain gfortran.com still points to my site, but the above
> questions
> apply to this domain as well, of course.

* gfortran.org
@ 2021-11-05  9:15 Manfred Schwarb
From: Manfred Schwarb @ 2021-11-05  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fortran, Bud Davis, Bud Davis

@ 2005-06-28  7:05 ` FX Coudert
From: FX Coudert @ 2005-06-28  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gaurav Gautam, Noida; +Cc: fortran

> cvs -z 9 co -P -rgcc-x_y-branch gcc
>
> Where GCC x.y release branch is the version to downld.
>
> Please tell me the the x.y release branch for gfortran ?

Well, you may want the latest release branch, which is be 4.0 (x=4 and
y=0). However, the main development tree is also available (somewhat
more unstable, but has a few more features): you can get it without
using the -r option ("cvs -z 9 co -P gcc").

Checking out from CVS will get you the source code for the compiler, but
you might find interesting to download precompiled binaries from
gfortran.org (see "Binaries for Windows, Linux and MacOS" link).

Thanks for your interest in gfortran!
FX

* RE: gfortran.org
@ 2005-06-28  6:53 Gaurav Gautam, Noida
From: Gaurav Gautam, Noida @ 2005-06-28  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Blodgett, François-Xavier Coudert; +Cc: fortran

Yes, that's correct.

I was looking for the latest version of compiler, but I am not able to find what version should I downld.
I mean to say that in order to check out from CVS, I need to write the following command in the CVS.

cvs -z 9 co -P -rgcc-x_y-branch gcc

Where GCC x.y release branch is the version to downld.

Please tell me the the x.y release branch for gfortran ?

I checked out some more sites, have found that its probably 4.0.0.0, is it so ??

Gaurav

* Re: gfortran.org
@ 2005-06-23 19:40   ` Larry Blodgett
From: Larry Blodgett @ 2005-06-23 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: François-Xavier Coudert; +Cc: fortran

       [not found] <1114598771.9949.ezmlm@gcc.gnu.org>
@ 2005-04-28  0:14 ` R. D. Flowers
From: R. D. Flowers @ 2005-04-28  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fortran

If we HAVE to have a prefix in the wiki, how about the 80% solution of having it just be GF rather than GFortran ? I know we generally like to spell things out rather than abbreviate, but wouldn't this be a well-motivated exception?

* Re: gfortran.org
@ 2005-04-27 15:13 Paul Thomas
From: Paul Thomas @ 2005-04-27 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: François-Xavier Coudert, Tobias Schlüter; +Cc: fortran

Well done the both of you on rejigging gfortran.

I had promised Bud, a long time since, a report comparing gfc, g95, ifc,
df6.0 and g77, where applicable, on the Quetzal testsuite.  The
modifications required and timings are now rather out of date.  I will try
to get this redone over the next couple of weeks to try to start the ball
rolling on a "what you can (or cannot yet) do with gfortran" section.  I
also have a range of other test results, for further down the line, with the
Polyhedron suite and others.

Some "how to dos" along the lines of Bud's sharing memory in fortran might
be nice.  I could contribute things like interfacing C programs, with
examples like an implementation of atexit.  Would this be of interest?

Paul T

* Re: gfortran.org
@ 2005-04-27 11:16         ` bud davis
From: bud davis @ 2005-04-27 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Gibson; +Cc: fortran

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 01:04 +1000, Alex Gibson wrote:

> May be able to take over building the binaries for windows (mingw 32
> bit) and mac (G4)
>  if people would be happy with a once a month build and update.
>
> With the mac are we going to need to keep seperate builds
> for OS X 10.3 and 10.4 with the change in gcc versions ?

the gfortran.org experience has shown me that access to binaries is very
important.  i think it is a great idea.

--bud

* Re: gfortran.org
@ 2005-04-27 10:57   ` Tobias Schlüter
From: Tobias Schlüter @ 2005-04-27 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bud davis; +Cc: THOMAS Paul Richard 169137, 'fortran@gcc.gnu.org'

bud davis wrote:
> excellent idea.  as of now, gfortran.org redirects to
>
>  http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortran
>

> i would like to thank everyone who contributed to the gfortran.org site
> over the past year.

Thanks for taking up with the headaches involved in keeping it running.  I'm
sure without gfortran.org our bug database wouldn't have grown half as fast :-)

Also, thanks to FX for actually setting up and structuring the content that is
in our new wiki now.  It looks very good.

- Tobi

* Re: gfortran.org
@ 2005-04-27 10:46 ` bud davis
From: bud davis @ 2005-04-27 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: THOMAS Paul Richard 169137; +Cc: 'fortran@gcc.gnu.org'

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 15:41 +0200, THOMAS Paul Richard 169137 wrote:
> Reluctantly, I think that I would agree with you about maintaining the
> gfortran wiki.  Is it possible to retain the domain name and use it to link
> direct to the gfortran part of the gcc wiki?  In all cases, I think that the
> domain name should be retained.
>
> Paul T

excellent idea.  as of now, gfortran.org redirects to

 http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortran

i would like to thank everyone who contributed to the gfortran.org site
over the past year.

--bud davis

* Re: gfortran.org
@ 2005-04-26 18:50         ` Brooks Moses
From: Brooks Moses @ 2005-04-26 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fortran

Tobias Schlüter wrote:
> - google has already updated its copy of gfortran.org, maybe one of you still
> has it in their browser caches, please look there before you fire up your
> browser to see what gfortran.org looks like now

Archive.org has a copy of the front page, as of last September.  It has
a number of the other pages as well, though I haven't looked in too much
detail:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040926094006/http://gfortran.org/

- Brooks

* Re: gfortran.org
@ 2005-04-26 18:26         ` François-Xavier Coudert
From: François-Xavier Coudert @ 2005-04-26 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gfortran

> - google has already updated its copy of gfortran.org, maybe one of you still
> has it in their browser caches, please look there before you fire up your
> browser to see what gfortran.org looks like now

Attached is what I could get from cache (mainly pages for binaries download).

FX

[-- Attachment #2: 00 --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 4484 bytes --]

Windows users can have a free compiler!

A gfortran package for Windows is available as zip archive at
http://quatramaran.ens.fr/~coudert/gfortran/gfortran-windows.zip . This
is a standalone package, which means you don't need anything else to
compile and run Fortran programs.

Installation instructions

After downloading the zip archive, expand it into the directory of your
choice (we will call that d:\gfortran). The compiler is then
d:\gfortran\bin\gfortran.exe, which you can run by entering its complete
path. To avoid lots of typing, you can add the d:\gfortran\bin directory
to your PATH environment variable, and then run gfortran simply by typing
gfortran.

Technical details

This package is built with MinGW/MSYS, and contains a minimal set of
MinGW files to be standalone. If you have MinGW already installed on your
system, then you might want to expand the gfortran package in the same
tree.

gfortran package for 64 bits AMD-compatible processors

This is a daily binary package of gfortran for x86_64 linux users. It
defaults to 32 bits integers, which is compatible with older programs.

You can download the package at
http://quatramaran.ens.fr/~coudert/gfortran/gfortran-x86_64-linux.tar.gz
and expand it. Static linking is advised since you won't have to set up
any environment variable.

    * Directions using csh or tcsh:

 mkdir gfortran_temp
 cd gfortran_temp
 wget -O -
http://quatramaran.ens.fr/~coudert/gfortran/gfortran-x86_64-linux.tar.gz
| tar xfz -
 alias gfc $PWD/irun/bin/gfortran -static -Wall
 gfc --version

    * Directions using bash, zsh or ksh:

 mkdir gfortran_temp
 cd gfortran_temp
 wget -O -
http://quatramaran.ens.fr/~coudert/gfortran/gfortran-x86_64-linux.tar.gz
| tar xfz -
 alias gfc="$PWD/irun/bin/gfortran -static -Wall"
 gfc --version

to get help.

The gfortran manual is available online.

Please remember that, since gfortran is still in development state,
documentation is not our first priority (although we try to maintain it
up-to-date and enhance it).

If you have any question that is not answered in this manual or the
gfortran FAQ, or if you have ideas for enhancement of the gfortran
documentation, please send a mail to fortran@gcc.gnu.org

gfortran installer for MacOS X

An Apple-style installer for MacOS X users is available for download at
http://quatramaran.ens.fr/~coudert/gfortran/gfortran-macosx.dmg . It is
easy to install, and lets you have a taste of our great free compiler.

Please note: If you install gfortran for the first time, you will need to
install up-to-date cctools (download the package here:
http://quatramaran.ens.fr/~coudert/gfortran/macosx-dependencies/cctools-528.5.dmg).

Technical details

The gfortran package for MacOS X installs all files in the
/usr/local/gfortran directory, and a single symbolic link
(/usr/local/bin/gfortran). If you need to uninstall it (since Apple
packages does not support auto-uninstalling), you need to type the
followind command in a terminal, as administrator:

 sudo rm -r /usr/local/gfortran /usr/local/bin/gfortran

As every time you use administrator privileges, double check your command
and make no mistake!

Windows/Cygwin users can have a free fortran95 compiler!

An i686 gfortran-4.1.0 (C and C++ are included) package for Cygwin is
available at
http://quatramaran.ens.fr/~coudert/gfortran/gfortran-4.1.0-i686Cygwin-20050320.tar.bz2

The Athlon version (which also includes java) is:

http://quatramaran.ens.fr/~coudert/gfortran/gfortran-4.1.0-Athlon-Cygwin-20050324.tar.bz2

Installation instructions

Download the tarball in a suitable directory, such as /irun

NB. Windows Explorer has a nasty habit of changing the extension from
.tar.bz2 to .tar.tar Just rename the archive after downloading, if this
happens. All will be well if the extension is correct.

> tar -jxvf
> {your_download_path}/gfortran-4.1.0-i686Cygwin-20050320.tar.bz2

> /irun/bin/gfortran --version should confirm that you are up and
> running.

The manual can be read, using

> man -M /irun/man gfortran

I will build up this page again and the range of downloads available for
Cygwin.

Paul T

Downloading recent CVS source code

gfortran source code is available from the GCC CVS repository
(http://gcc.gnu.org/install). A daily tarball of the code is available
from http://quatramaran.ens.fr/~coudert/gfortran/gcc-cvs.tar.bz2 if you
prefer.

* Re: gfortran.org
@ 2005-04-26 15:06       ` Alex Gibson
From: Alex Gibson @ 2005-04-26 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fortran

Tobias Schlüter wrote:

>François-Xavier Coudert wrote:
>

>>>I'd suggest that we put the info that used to be on gfortran.org into the gcc
>>>wiki, and have gfortran.org redirect requests there.  Maintaining gfortran.org
>>>causes too many headaches.
>>>

>>Couldn't we have a http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/wiki/ directory? And do a
>>straight redirection http://gfortran.org/ -> http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/wiki/?
>>

>That's almost what I meant to suggest, except that the directory (if it makes
>sense with gcc's wiki to structure stuff into directories) would be
>http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/fortran.
>
>- Tobi

I'd be happy to stick a mirror up as I have plenty of bandwidth to burn.

Can mirror both the wiki and the binaries.
Binaries for at least the rest of the year.
One possibly two mirrors.

Is there a way to automatically mirror a wiki ?

May be able to take over building the binaries for windows (mingw 32
bit) and mac (G4)
 if people would be happy with a once a month build and update.

With the mac are we going to need to keep seperate builds
for OS X 10.3 and 10.4 with the change in gcc versions ?

Probably not going to be able to look at replies until friday

Alex Gibson

* Re: gfortran.org
@ 2005-04-26 15:04         ` Tobias Schlüter
From: Tobias Schlüter @ 2005-04-26 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: François-Xavier Coudert; +Cc: gfortran

François-Xavier Coudert wrote:
>>That's almost what I meant to suggest, except that the directory (if it makes
>>sense with gcc's wiki to structure stuff into directories) would be
>>http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/fortran.
>

> OK. The things I wanted to suggest is that we have our own "namespace",
> separate from the general wiki, since we don't want to have all our links
> begin with "Fortran" (FortranDownload, FortranBinariesWindows, etc.)

This arrived just the moment that I had hit 'send' on my previous e-mail.  How
about a FortranBinaries and then link to the binaries from there, so that
there don't have to be wiki pages for all the different permutations?

We could then use in-page hyperlinks pointing to the install information for
the different OSs:
----
In-page hyperlinks are made by placing a named anchor and referring to the
anchor in a hyperlink:

    *

      Named anchors:
          o #[foo]: An anchor around the text "foo" with id "foo".
          o #[|foo]: An empty anchor with id "foo".
          o #[howdy|foo]: An anchor around the text "howdy" with id "foo".
    * References to name anchors are made thusly:
      [##hyperlinks], [OtherPage#foo], [named|OtherPage#foo].
----

- Tobi

* Re: gfortran.org
@ 2005-04-26 14:50         ` Tobias Schlüter
From: Tobias Schlüter @ 2005-04-26 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Schlüter; +Cc: François-Xavier Coudert, gfortran

Tobias Schlüter wrote:
> Please see http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortran

I'v added everything I could pull out of google's cache.  Unfortunately, the
last time it has updated those pages seems to have been early March, soon
after the last disk crash, so a lot of stuff is lost.

WRT namespaces: these are not possible in the wiki, so I'd say that every
WikiName which might also be used by the regular gcc people should somehow
contain Gfortran in it.  Say, OldNews -> OldGfortranNews.

- Tobi

* Re: gfortran.org
@ 2005-04-26 14:46       ` François-Xavier Coudert
From: François-Xavier Coudert @ 2005-04-26 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Schlüter; +Cc: gfortran

> That's almost what I meant to suggest, except that the directory (if it makes
> sense with gcc's wiki to structure stuff into directories) would be
> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/fortran.

OK. The things I wanted to suggest is that we have our own "namespace",
separate from the general wiki, since we don't want to have all our links
begin with "Fortran" (FortranDownload, FortranBinariesWindows, etc.)

FX

* Re: gfortran.org
@ 2005-04-26 14:36       ` Tobias Schlüter
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Tobias Schlüter @ 2005-04-26 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: François-Xavier Coudert; +Cc: gfortran

Tobias Schlüter wrote:
> François-Xavier Coudert wrote:
>
>>>I'd suggest that we put the info that used to be on gfortran.org into the gcc
>>>wiki, and have gfortran.org redirect requests there.  Maintaining gfortran.org
>>>causes too many headaches.
>>

>>Couldn't we have a http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/wiki/ directory? And do a
>>straight redirection http://gfortran.org/ -> http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/wiki/?
>

> That's almost what I meant to suggest, except that the directory (if it makes
> sense with gcc's wiki to structure stuff into directories) would be
> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/fortran.

Please see http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortran

Three things:
- before we add new pages I'll try to find out if there's a way how we can
have our own namespace.  It's probably not worth it, but if it's easy to do, I
don't think it would be a bad idea.  I'll start adding pages once I know about
this, so if you see links to other wiki pages, feel free to add more.
- google has already updated its copy of gfortran.org, maybe one of you still
has it in their browser caches, please look there before you fire up your
browser to see what gfortran.org looks like now
- I tried importing the OldNews page, only to find it rejected as spam because
of too many external links.  I'll see if it will accept it in chunks

- Tobi

* Re: gfortran.org
@ 2005-04-26 14:10     ` Tobias Schlüter
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Tobias Schlüter @ 2005-04-26 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: François-Xavier Coudert; +Cc: gfortran

@ 2005-04-26 13:51 THOMAS Paul Richard 169137
From: THOMAS Paul Richard 169137 @ 2005-04-26 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'fortran@gcc.gnu.org'

@ 2005-04-26 13:41   ` François-Xavier Coudert
From: François-Xavier Coudert @ 2005-04-26 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Schlüter; +Cc: gfortran

@ 2005-04-26 13:19 ` Tobias Schlüter
From: Tobias Schlüter @ 2005-04-26 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: François-Xavier Coudert; +Cc: gfortran

François-Xavier Coudert wrote:
> gfortran.org proudly displays an Apache "newly installed web server" page.
> Is it supposed to happen?

When I load it, it shows the following:
----------------
gfortran.org status

disk crashed again, and yes i did have backups.

the whole story

after the last disk crash i backed up the wiki every night via a cron job that
copied over a tarball to another computer via an nfs mount. this saturday i
decided to upgrade the other computer (the one holding the backups). so, i
backed up my home directory (which had a few years of e-mail, and the wiki
back ups) and put the tarball on the web server. A fresh install of Fedora,
and while copying the tarball of my home directory back from the web server
the "fatal dma error happened". so the wiki backup, and EVERYTHING i have is gone.

my "real job" will be consuming every spare minute for the next 6 months. i
just do not have time to mess with this site, although it seems to be very
valuable to gfortran developers and users.

I am willing to transfer this domain name to someone who can spend more time
administering this site than I can. Or, I am willing to give someone an
account on the current computer system and i will still provide the hardware
and the connection.

if you have a static page you would like displayed, please e-mail it to me

bdavis9659@comcast.net
gfortran binaries
downloads

Sounds like Bud had the worst of lucks.