public inbox for fortran@gcc.gnu.org
* Need for __builtin_issignaling()
@ 2021-12-29 14:25 FX
From: FX @ 2021-12-29 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

In order to finalize our support for Fortran IEEE modules, we need to have access to a reliable issignaling() macro, that would work across all floating-point types. Some targets (glibc ones, notably) have it, but not all, far from it. Instead of implementing our own, probably buggy, probably not very portable version… I think it would be a great idea for a GCC builtin: __builtin_issignaling()

As far as I can see, this macro was proposed in the “ Optional support for Signaling NaNs” WG14 document (http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1011.htm#7.12.3.x%20the%20issignaling%20macro). Many other proposed macros from this document are available as GCC builtins, so I wonder: why not __builtin_issignaling()?

Is it particularly hard to do? I came across a post in the list archives from Joseph, who said it would be good to have. I’d be willing to try and put something together, unless you think it’s a big project. Any pointers as to how to start would be appreciated.

Best,
FX