public inbox for fortran@gcc.gnu.org
* wiki syntax changes?
@ 2016-12-14 10:26 Janus Weil
From: Janus Weil @ 2016-12-14 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I have recently noticed some changes in the appearance of these wiki pages:

https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Fortran2003Status
https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Fortran2008Status

The tables on these pages use HTML-like formatting tags like

<tablewidth="60%" width="40%" bgcolor="#bbddbb">

which certainly have been working in the past, but now seem to be ignored.

https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/HelpOnMoinWikiSyntax#HTML-like_Options_for_Tables

lists at least the bgcolor option, which just as the other two has
stopped working (while coloring tags like <#0000FF> still work). Can
anyone tell me why this happened and what to do about it?

Cheers,
Janus

* Re: wiki syntax changes?
@ 2016-12-14 10:49 ` Jakub Jelinek
From: Jakub Jelinek @ 2016-12-14 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 11:26:45AM +0100, Janus Weil wrote:
> I have recently noticed some changes in the appearance of these wiki pages:
>
> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Fortran2003Status
> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Fortran2008Status
>
> The tables on these pages use HTML-like formatting tags like
>
> <tablewidth="60%" width="40%" bgcolor="#bbddbb">
>
> which certainly have been working in the past, but now seem to be ignored.
>
> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/HelpOnMoinWikiSyntax#HTML-like_Options_for_Tables
>
> lists at least the bgcolor option, which just as the other two has
> stopped working (while coloring tags like <#0000FF> still work). Can
> anyone tell me why this happened and what to do about it?

See e.g. https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2016-01/msg01471.html
and related discussions and www patches.
Basically, all the formatting etc. stuff now has to come from a CSS,
i.e. class=whatever where whatever is define in gcc.css.

	Jakub

* Re: wiki syntax changes?
@ 2016-12-14 11:21   ` Janus Weil
From: Janus Weil @ 2016-12-14 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 11:26:45AM +0100, Janus Weil wrote:
>> I have recently noticed some changes in the appearance of these wiki pages:
>>
>> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Fortran2003Status
>> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Fortran2008Status
>>
>> The tables on these pages use HTML-like formatting tags like
>>
>> <tablewidth="60%" width="40%" bgcolor="#bbddbb">
>>
>> which certainly have been working in the past, but now seem to be ignored.
>>
>> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/HelpOnMoinWikiSyntax#HTML-like_Options_for_Tables
>>
>> lists at least the bgcolor option, which just as the other two has
>> stopped working (while coloring tags like <#0000FF> still work). Can
>> anyone tell me why this happened and what to do about it?
>
> See e.g. https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2016-01/msg01471.html
> and related discussions and www patches.
> Basically, all the formatting etc. stuff now has to come from a CSS,
> i.e. class=whatever where whatever is define in gcc.css.

I see. Thanks for the comment, Jakub.

I guess for the 'static' web pages using a CSS file is no big deal,
but for the wiki this doesn't sound like a very flexible solution. As
mentioned, there is a workaround for the color, and I hope one can
also find workarounds for the other items (width & tablewidth).

Do we already have a gcc.css, and if yes where?

Cheers,
Janus

* Re: wiki syntax changes?
@ 2016-12-14 11:23     ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2016-12-14 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14 December 2016 at 11:21, Janus Weil wrote:
> Do we already have a gcc.css, and if yes where?

https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc.css

* Re: wiki syntax changes?
@ 2016-12-14 11:33     ` Jakub Jelinek
From: Jakub Jelinek @ 2016-12-14 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 12:21:11PM +0100, Janus Weil wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 11:26:45AM +0100, Janus Weil wrote:
> >> I have recently noticed some changes in the appearance of these wiki pages:
> >>
> >> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Fortran2003Status
> >> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Fortran2008Status
> >>
> >> The tables on these pages use HTML-like formatting tags like
> >>
> >> <tablewidth="60%" width="40%" bgcolor="#bbddbb">
> >>
> >> which certainly have been working in the past, but now seem to be ignored.
> >>
> >> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/HelpOnMoinWikiSyntax#HTML-like_Options_for_Tables
> >>
> >> lists at least the bgcolor option, which just as the other two has
> >> stopped working (while coloring tags like <#0000FF> still work). Can
> >> anyone tell me why this happened and what to do about it?
> >
> > See e.g. https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2016-01/msg01471.html
> > and related discussions and www patches.
> > Basically, all the formatting etc. stuff now has to come from a CSS,
> > i.e. class=whatever where whatever is define in gcc.css.
>
> I see. Thanks for the comment, Jakub.
>
> I guess for the 'static' web pages using a CSS file is no big deal,
> but for the wiki this doesn't sound like a very flexible solution. As
> mentioned, there is a workaround for the color, and I hope one can
> also find workarounds for the other items (width & tablewidth).
>
> Do we already have a gcc.css, and if yes where?

There is gcc.css in the wwwdocs CVS repo.  But looking at the wiki pages,
I see just:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" charset="utf-8" media="all" href="/moin_static199/modern/css/common.css">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" charset="utf-8" media="screen" href="/moin_static199/modern/css/screen.css">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" charset="utf-8" media="print" href="/moin_static199/modern/css/print.css">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" charset="utf-8" media="projection" href="/moin_static199/modern/css/projection.css">
being included.  Dunno who configured the wiki, and if it would be possible to
add a gcc specific gcc-wiki.css or something similar.  I think Gerald as the
web maintainer would be the best person to talk to.

	Jakub

* Re: wiki syntax changes?
@ 2016-12-14 21:31       ` Janus Weil
From: Janus Weil @ 2016-12-14 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> > See e.g. https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2016-01/msg01471.html
>> > and related discussions and www patches.
>> > Basically, all the formatting etc. stuff now has to come from a CSS,
>> > i.e. class=whatever where whatever is define in gcc.css.
>>
>> I see. Thanks for the comment, Jakub.
>>
>> I guess for the 'static' web pages using a CSS file is no big deal,
>> but for the wiki this doesn't sound like a very flexible solution. As
>> mentioned, there is a workaround for the color, and I hope one can
>> also find workarounds for the other items (width & tablewidth).
>>
>> Do we already have a gcc.css, and if yes where?
>
> There is gcc.css in the wwwdocs CVS repo.  But looking at the wiki pages,
> I see just:
> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" charset="utf-8" media="all" href="/moin_static199/modern/css/common.css">
> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" charset="utf-8" media="screen" href="/moin_static199/modern/css/screen.css">
> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" charset="utf-8" media="print" href="/moin_static199/modern/css/print.css">
> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" charset="utf-8" media="projection" href="/moin_static199/modern/css/projection.css">
> being included.  Dunno who configured the wiki, and if it would be possible to
> add a gcc specific gcc-wiki.css or something similar.  I think Gerald as the
> web maintainer would be the best person to talk to.

Well, from my side it's not worth to put much effort into this right
now. I have worked around the issues on the mentioned pages in other
ways.

If the removal of support for HTML tags creates problems on other wiki
pages as well, then one should probably think about adding a
gcc-wiki.css (if possible). Not sure if that's the case.

Btw, https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/HelpOnThemes mentions a "clever idea to
make CSS wiki editable", which sounds like a useful idea to me (if I
understand it correctly).

Cheers,
Janus

* Re: wiki syntax changes?
@ 2017-02-18 19:29         ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2017-02-18 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Janus Weil; +Cc: Jakub Jelinek, gcc, fortran

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016, Janus Weil wrote:
>> There is gcc.css in the wwwdocs CVS repo.  But looking at the wiki pages,
>> I see just:
> Well, from my side it's not worth to put much effort into this right
> now. I have worked around the issues on the mentioned pages in other
> ways.
>
> If the removal of support for HTML tags creates problems on other wiki
> pages as well, then one should probably think about adding a
> gcc-wiki.css (if possible). Not sure if that's the case.

Let me know when there is anything you'd like to do in that direction,
be it adjusting the global gcc.css sheet or introducing gcc-wiki.css,
or a combination thereof, Janus.

> Btw, https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/HelpOnThemes mentions a "clever idea to
> make CSS wiki editable", which sounds like a useful idea to me (if I
> understand it correctly).

That also looks like a potential option.  Again, happy to help.

Gerald