public inbox for fortran@gcc.gnu.org
* GCC GSoC 2022: Call for project ideas and mentors
@ 2022-01-06 16:20 Martin Jambor
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Martin Jambor @ 2022-01-06 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

another year is upon us and Google has announced there will be again
Google Summer of Code 2022 (though AFAIK there is no specific timeline
yet).  I'd like to volunteer to be the main Org Admin for GCC again so
let me know if you think I shouldn't or that someone else should, but
otherwise I'll assume that I will.

There will be a few important changes to the GSoC this year.  The most
important for us is that there will be two project sizes: medium-sized
projects which are expected to take about 175 hours to complete and
large projects expected to take approximately 350 hours (the size from
2020 and earlier).  I expect that most of our projects will be large but
I think we can offer one or two medium-sized ideas too.

Google will also increase timing flexibility, so the projects can run
for longer (up to 22 weeks) allowing mentors to go on vacation and
students to pause and focus on exams.  Talking about students, Google is
going to open the program to all adults, so from now on, the
participants working on the projects will be called GSoC contributors.

Slightly more information about these changes can be found at
https://opensource.googleblog.com/2021/11/expanding-google-summer-of-code-in-2022.html
I am sure we will learn more when the actual timeline is announced too.

======================== The most important bit: ========================

Even before that happens, I would like to ask all (moderately) seasoned
GCC contributors to consider mentoring a student this year and ideally
also come up with a project that they would like to lead.  I'm
collecting proposal on our wiki page
https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode - feel free to add yours to the
top list there.  Or, if you are unsure, post your offer and project idea
as a reply here to the mailing list.

Eventually, each listed project idea should have a) a project
title/description, b) more detailed description of the project (2-5
sentences), c) expected outcomes, d) skills required/preferred, e)
project size and difficulty and f) expected mentors.

Project ideas that come without an offer to also mentor them are always
fun to discuss, by all means feel free to reply to this email with yours
and I will attempt to find a mentor, but please be aware that we can
only use the suggestion it if we actually find one.

Everybody in the GCC community is invited to go over
https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode and remove any outdated or
otherwise bad project suggestions and help improve viable ones.

Finally, please continue helping (prospective) students figure stuff out
about GCC like you always do.  So far I think all of them enjoyed
working with us, even if many sometimes struggled with GCC's complexity.

I will update you as more details about GSoC 2022 become available.

Thank you, let's hope we attract some new talent again this year.

Martin

* Re: GCC GSoC 2022: Call for project ideas and mentors
@ 2022-01-07 17:41 ` David Malcolm
From: David Malcolm @ 2022-01-07 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 2022-01-06 at 17:20 +0100, Martin Jambor wrote:
> Hello,
>
> another year is upon us and Google has announced there will be again
> Google Summer of Code 2022 (though AFAIK there is no specific timeline
> yet).  I'd like to volunteer to be the main Org Admin for GCC again so
> let me know if you think I shouldn't or that someone else should, but
> otherwise I'll assume that I will.
>
> There will be a few important changes to the GSoC this year.  The most
> important for us is that there will be two project sizes: medium-sized
> projects which are expected to take about 175 hours to complete and
> large projects expected to take approximately 350 hours (the size from
> 2020 and earlier).  I expect that most of our projects will be large
> but
> I think we can offer one or two medium-sized ideas too.
>
> Google will also increase timing flexibility, so the projects can run
> for longer (up to 22 weeks) allowing mentors to go on vacation and
> students to pause and focus on exams.  Talking about students, Google
> is
> going to open the program to all adults, so from now on, the
> participants working on the projects will be called GSoC contributors.
>
> Slightly more information about these changes can be found at
> https://opensource.googleblog.com/2021/11/expanding-google-summer-of-code-in-2022.html
> I am sure we will learn more when the actual timeline is announced too.
>
> ======================== The most important bit:
> ========================
>
> Even before that happens, I would like to ask all (moderately) seasoned
> GCC contributors to consider mentoring a student this year and ideally
> also come up with a project that they would like to lead.  I'm
> collecting proposal on our wiki page
> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode - feel free to add yours to the
> top list there.  Or, if you are unsure, post your offer and project
> idea
> as a reply here to the mailing list.

How did it get to be 2022 already?

Thanks for organizing this.

I'd like to (again) mentor a project relating to the GCC static
analyzer:
  https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/DavidMalcolm/StaticAnalyzer

I've updated the analyzer task ideas on:
  https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode
but the ideas there are suggestions; if any prospective candidate has
other good ideas for things worth working on within the analyzer, let
me know.

Alternatively, I'm also up for mentoring relating to diagnostics or
libgccjit, if someone can think of an idea of suitable size and scope
for a GSoC project.

Dave

@ 2022-01-12  9:53 ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2022-01-12  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jan 06 2022, Martin Jambor wrote:

[...]
> I will update you as more details about GSoC 2022 become available.

The official timeline has been published at
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline

I do not know how the "standard coding period" and "extended deadlines"
will exactly work, I suppose mentors and contributors will together
simply pick which one of the two to follow.

I intend to file our application around February 8th, so it would be
great to have our "selected ideas list" ready with all the details by
then.

Thanks,

@ 2022-01-12 10:01   ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2022-01-12 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jan 12 2022, Martin Jambor wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 06 2022, Martin Jambor wrote:
>>
> [...]
>>
>> I will update you as more details about GSoC 2022 become available.
>>

> The official timeline has been published at
> https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline
>
> I do not know how the "standard coding period" and "extended deadlines"
> will exactly work, I suppose mentors and contributors will together
> simply pick which one of the two to follow.
>
> I intend to file our application around February 8th,

apparently I have not had enough coffee today yet...  I wanted to write
February 15 (one week before the deadline).  It would be great to finish
our ideas list with all the details by February 15.

Sorry for the slight confusion,

@ 2022-03-09 14:39 ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2022-03-09 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am pleased that I can announce that GCC has been accepted as a
mentoring organization of Google Summer of Code 2022.

Contributors(*) will be applying from April 4th to April 19th but have
already seen some announcing their intention to apply and asking for
guidance when selecting a project and preparing their applications.
Please continue helping them figure stuff out about GCC like you always
do.

If anyone still wants to add a project to our idea list (and sign up to
be a potential mentor), now is the time to do it.

I'm looking forward to another year of interesting projects,

Martin

(*) Contributors no longer have to be students - they should
however be "new or beginner" contributors to our project with the
exception that participants of GSoC 2020 or GSoC 2021 can apply.

More on changes this year is in my original call for projects:
https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2022-January/238006.html

* Re: GCC GSoC 2022: Call for project ideas and mentors
@ 2022-03-10  2:09   ` Jerry D
From: Jerry D @ 2022-03-10  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Perhaps someone could work on completing and merging the shared memory
(native) fortran coarrays branch.

Regards,

Jerry

@ 2022-03-10 16:13     ` Damian Rouson
From: Damian Rouson @ 2022-03-10 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerry D
	Milan Curcic, libstdc++

I assume it’s too late for new project ideas.  I’m adding Milan Curcic in
cc to confirm.

Damian

@ 2022-03-10 16:22       ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2022-03-10 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damian Rouson, Jerry D

On Thu, Mar 10 2022, Damian Rouson wrote:
> I assume it’s too late for new project ideas.  I’m adding Milan Curcic in
> cc to confirm.

it is not too late but people are already looking at the idea page, so
the longer you wait, the more potential contributers you'll miss.

Martin