public inbox for fortran@gcc.gnu.org
* Backports of foreign patches?
@ 2020-12-29 21:21 Harald Anlauf
       [not found] ` <0a216a6d-bbed-f5b7-dc8d-b430d80f2011@netcologne.de>
From: Harald Anlauf @ 2020-12-29 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fortran

Dear all,

just a hypothetical question: assume that some patch for a regression was
applied only to e.g. master some time ago but might be worth a backport,
the regression was indicated in the PR, and the patch author does not answer
any related queries in the PR?

How could/should/would one proceed?

Would it be acceptable to backport the patch after a sufficient waiting time
(at least e.g. one or two months)?  With a notification to the ML?  Or does
it require an additional OK from a reviewer?

Or would one pass an invisible red line?

Thanks,
Harald

* Re: Backports of foreign patches?
@ 2020-12-30  9:52 ` Thomas Koenig
       [not found] ` <0a216a6d-bbed-f5b7-dc8d-b430d80f2011@netcologne.de>
From: Thomas Koenig @ 2020-12-30  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fortran

Hi Harald,

What I'm writing below is my personal opinion, if anybody feels
differently, please chime in.

 > just a hypothetical question: assume that some patch for a regression was
 > applied only to e.g. master some time ago but might be worth a backport,
 > the regression was indicated in the PR, and the patch author does not
answer
 > any related queries in the PR?
 >
 > How could/should/would one proceed?
 >
 > Would it be acceptable to backport the patch after a sufficient
waiting time
 > (at least e.g. one or two months)?

I would say yes.  Using "git gcc-backport" automatically credits
the original author, so that's OK.  Regarding the time frame, it
probably makes sense to backport before the next release of that
particular branch.

That is, if it does apply cleanly.  If there is some work needed
that exceeds being cosmetic, then this would in effect be a new
patch, which would require review.

 > With a notification to the ML?

Not needed if it applies cleanly.

 > Or does
 > it require an additional OK from a reviewer?

Only if it is a substantial rewrite (see above).

 > Or would one pass an invisible red line?

Certainly not for me - I would feel bad about not reacting
in the first place, but not about somebody backporting
one of my patches.

Best regards

     Thomas

* Re: Backports of foreign patches?
@ 2020-12-30 10:20   ` Paul Richard Thomas
From: Paul Richard Thomas @ 2020-12-30 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Koenig; +Cc: fortran

Hi Harald,

I agree completely with Thomas on this. That said, don't be too diligent
about it. The gcc version with Fedora 33 is 10.2.1 and I presume that other
distros are keeping similarly up to date.

Regards

Paul

--
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" -
Albert Einstein

* Fw: Re: Backports of foreign patches?
       [not found]   ` <trinity-6dfaef70-19a1-45d0-95c4-602532723b8d-1609326698125@3c-app-gmx-bs23>
@ 2020-12-30 13:41     ` Harald Anlauf