public inbox for frysk@sourceware.org
* enabling 32-X-64 testing on 64-bit systems
@ 2007-07-11 15:58 Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2007-07-11 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: frysk

[from meeting]

At present the 32-on-64 tests tests are disabled, the suggestion is to
enable them.

More exactly, on a 64-bit system, there are the following combinations:

- 64-bit funit run full test-suite using 64-bit target program binaries

- 64-bit funit run full test-suite using 32-bit target program binaries

- 32-bit funit run full test-suite using 32-bit target program binaries

within each of those test runs, there is a collection of 32-on-64
specific tests such as:

- track a 32-bit process exec-ing a 64-bit process

except for the 64-bit funit using 32-bit target program case, those
tests are currently skipped (untested).

The rationale was that the 32-bit target programs may not be present, so
disabling the tests by default prevented misleading results (e.g., only
a 64-bit frysk being installed).

The disadvantage is, as MJW observed, that people are not generally
aware of these tests and so don't run them.

The intent is to reverse this situtation: enable the 32-on-64 tests when
ever possible; requiring an explicit option to disable them

* Re: enabling 32-X-64 testing on 64-bit systems
@ 2007-07-14  1:01 ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2007-07-14  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: frysk

Hi Andrew,

On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 11:58 -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> The disadvantage is, as MJW observed, that people are not generally
> aware of these tests and so don't run them.
>
> The intent is to reverse this situtation: enable the 32-on-64 tests when
> ever possible; requiring an explicit option to disable them

I think that is a good idea. I have to admit I still haven't figured out
how to enable them currently. I did find the --enable-arch32-tests
autogen/configure flag, but it looks like that is already enabled on
x86_64 by default. Do I need anything else?

Thanks,

Mark

* Re: enabling 32-X-64 testing on 64-bit systems
@ 2007-07-16 14:39   ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2007-07-16 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wielaard; +Cc: frysk

See TestRunner --arch 32, it's in the funit man page.