public inbox for frysk@sourceware.org
* Problem with getExe and testInsertedBreakpoint
@ 2007-07-26 13:23 Kris Van Hees
From: Kris Van Hees @ 2007-07-26 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: frysk

Recently, a problem has surfaced related to getExe() in relation to core
files and its use in the testInsertedBreakpoint() test.  Specifically,
the core file seems to store the first 79 characters of the full
executable pathname only.  This results in truncation in cases where the
frysk build tree is located fairly far down a directory hierarchy (which
is a implicit test in itself), and the testInsertedBreakpoint test tries
to read the executable using a truncated (and thus invalid) executable
path name.

As far as the test is concerned, I think it might be easiest to simply
use the (known) path name to the executable name directly because this
particular test is *not* verifying whether the getExe() processing
works.  Avoiding this problem altogether in this test will at least
avoid the current problem.

Whether this problem can be resolved in general remains to be seen.  If
the executable name is simply not available, there is nothing we can do.
However, there might be a tiny hope that we can get to the executable
path name anyway.  Running 'strings' on the core files I checked
displays the untruncated version twice.  I'm currently looking whether
there is a clean, dependable way to get to that information.

	Cheers,
	Kris