public inbox for frysk@sourceware.org
* ltrace
@ 2007-07-26 14:57 Petr Machata
From: Petr Machata @ 2007-07-26 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: frysk

I committed first stab on ltrace for frysk, dubbed fltrace.  The output
is very rudimentary, but should at least print out library function
called from the executable itself.

fltrace is only known to work on i386 for non-PIE ELF binaries, and as
far as I know it currently doesn't work well with threads.  I'll work to
get it more feature-full during the summer.

PM

* Re: ltrace
@ 2007-07-26 15:02 ` Sami Wagiaalla
From: Sami Wagiaalla @ 2007-07-26 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petr Machata; +Cc: frysk

Petr Machata wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I committed first stab on ltrace for frysk, dubbed fltrace.
Sweet!

* Re: ltrace
@ 2007-07-26 17:09 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2007-07-26 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petr Machata; +Cc: frysk

Cool.

Have you considered folding this this to the current ftrace program so
we've a tool that can trace both syscalls and library functions?

As an aside, the direction here is for ftrace to, by default, just
report trace process fork/clone events.  Then if the user specifies
syscalls (or library calls) to trace then it enables them.

Andrew

Petr Machata wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I committed first stab on ltrace for frysk, dubbed fltrace.  The output
> is very rudimentary, but should at least print out library function
> called from the executable itself.
>
> fltrace is only known to work on i386 for non-PIE ELF binaries, and as
> far as I know it currently doesn't work well with threads.  I'll work to
> get it more feature-full during the summer.
>
> PM

* Re: ltrace
@ 2007-07-26 20:43   ` Petr Machata
From: Petr Machata @ 2007-07-26 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: frysk

Andrew Cagney wrote:
> Cool.
>
> Have you considered folding this this to the current ftrace program so
> we've a tool that can trace both syscalls and library functions?

Yes, I have.  I mostly wanted to get familiar with the framework, so I
made it tool on its own.  I will work on merging the two, fltrace is
mostly copied from ftrace anyway.

Btw, does it make sense, or is it feasible from frysk's architecture
standpoint, to add libcall event to frysk monitor?  (That gui thing with
time axis and ticks.)  I haven't done any investigation in this matter,
it just sits at the back of my brain since I started tinkering with frysk...

PM

* Re: ltrace
@ 2007-07-27 14:40     ` Sami Wagiaalla
From: Sami Wagiaalla @ 2007-07-27 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petr Machata; +Cc: Andrew Cagney, frysk

> Btw, does it make sense, or is it feasible from frysk's architecture
> standpoint, to add libcall event to frysk monitor?  (That gui thing with
> time axis and ticks.)  I haven't done any investigation in this matter,
> it just sits at the back of my brain since I started tinkering with frysk...

Yes! for sure... it would give you a chance to explore that code; I
would love to hear comments about that api. But if you want me to do it
just file a bug.

Sami Wagiaalla

* Re: ltrace
@ 2007-07-27 14:58       ` Petr Machata