public inbox for frysk@sourceware.org
* frysk meeting 2007-08-01
@ 2007-07-31 13:48 Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2007-07-31 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: frysk

All welcome, please contact me off list for dial in information.

This week; walking through one or more off:
-> fstack
-> disassembler (again :-)
-> fdebuginfo

* Re: frysk meeting 2007-08-01
@ 2007-07-31 18:15 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2007-07-31 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: frysk

+ discuss switching to git and/or mercurial

Andrew Cagney wrote:
> All welcome, please contact me off list for dial in information.
>
> This week; walking through one or more off:
> -> fstack
> -> disassembler (again :-)
> -> fdebuginfo

* Re: frysk meeting 2007-08-01
@ 2007-08-01  9:10   ` Tim Moore
From: Tim Moore @ 2007-08-01  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: frysk

* test mercurial repository (Was: frysk meeting 2007-08-01)
@ 2007-08-06 15:34     ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2007-08-06 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: frysk

On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 11:10 +0200, Tim Moore wrote:
> Andrew Cagney wrote:
> > + discuss switching to git and/or mercurial
> >
> As further grist for the mill, and hopefully not gasoline on the fire, here is our
> colleague Jim Meyering's view on git vs. hg: http://meyering.net/dVCS/ . He's
> even more adamant about it in person :)

This discussion and my own struggles this weekend to get a mirror of the
repository into mercurial show how fragile all these distributed version
control systems still are :(

Anyway, Tim gave a great hint about how he got the git mirror working.
He reconstructed the original repository by checking in symbolic links
to restore to original repo/modules splitup as in CVS. Then I thought
you could also try to do this beforehand on the raw CVS repository. And
yes, that works pretty well to make tailor grok it all. Tailor is nice
since it can translate between all kinds of different version control
systems: http://wiki.darcs.net/DarcsWiki/Tailor

Attached is the script I use to get at the raw CVS repository, patch it
up a little to appease tailor and the tailor config file. This only
gives the main branch, no branches, but it does include all 6100+
changesets since 2005 (6103 changesets with 37342 changes to 9481
files). It also makes frysk look like just one big module. But I don't
know if anybody ever actually uses the separate frysk-* and frysk*-build
modules in the first place.

The first conversion is super slow (multiple hours!) this seems to come
from CVS having a "limiter" that only allows one transaction each
second. And with 6000+ changesets and different files in a changeset not
being part of the same transaction according to CVS, you quickly get to
5 hours just waiting for CVS...

Unfortunately there is still one small issue with the getopt files.
Somehow the initial checkin of the getopt library seems to completely
confuse tailor and 4 files don't seem to be tracked. So you will have to
touch them up by hand afterwards. See comments in the script.

If you want to play with the mercurial repository start with:
	hg clone http://gnu.wildebeest.org/hg/frysk

That is a read-only repository. But be gentle (it is 115MB), that is my
personal machine, it should auto update a few times a day, but no
guarantees that I keep it going. You can however recreate a similar
repository with the attached script and then just put it in some cron
job to periodically update.

Cheers,

Mark

[-- Attachment #2: convert-frysk-repo.sh --]
[-- Type: application/x-shellscript, Size: 1619 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: frysk-cvs-hg.tailor --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 270 bytes --]

[DEFAULT]
verbose = True

[project]
target = hg:target
start-revision = INITIAL
root-directory = /home/mark/frysk-repo
state-file = tailor.state
source = cvs:source
subdir = frysk-hg

[hg:target]

[cvs:source]
module = frysk
repository = /home/mark/frysk-repo/frysk-cvs

* Re: test Mercurial repository and Trac instance
@ 2007-08-20  9:19       ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2007-08-20  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: frysk

Hi,

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 17:33 +0200, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> If you want to play with the mercurial repository start with:
> 	hg clone http://gnu.wildebeest.org/hg/frysk
>
> That is a read-only repository. But be gentle (it is 115MB), that is my
> personal machine, it should auto update a few times a day, but no
> guarantees that I keep it going. You can however recreate a similar
> repository with the attached script and then just put it in some cron
> job to periodically update.

I played a bit with Trac (http://trac.edgewall.org/) this weekend
(http://gnu.wildebeest.org/diary/2007/08/20/bad-memory/) and have now
also added a little Trac instance to more easily browse the mercurial
source code changesets. Trac is pretty nice and easy to setup (at least
on CentOS 5 with EPEL which has all needed packages already). I have
disabled all the fancy features (wiki, roadmap, ticketing/bugs system,
etc) and only enabled the source browser and source timeline view for
the Mercurial mirror. I even tried to theme it a little like the main
Frysk site, which was also pretty easy (OK, I mainly just made the
background gray and the links blue, I am no CSS wizard).

The Mercurial integration into Trac is not 100% yet, and clearly can be
optimized a little (read, it is slow). But the result is pretty nice for
easily viewing changeset diffs in various ways. Take a look if you like:
http://gnu.wildebeest.org/trac/frysk/

Of course everything is readonly and all changes are just automatically
generated from the cvs mirroring system (scripts to do it yourself
locally are attached to the main Trac page).

Cheers,

Mark