public inbox for frysk@sourceware.org
From: Phil Muldoon <pmuldoon@redhat.com>
To: Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org>
Cc: Elena Zannoni <elena.zannoni@oracle.com>, frysk@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Again the build is broken :(
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 15:17:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Hi Elena,
>
> On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 10:26 -0400, Elena Zannoni wrote:
>
>> This leads to the question as to what are the standard development
>> platforms for frysk.
>> FC6 and FC7? Or is older stuff still used? Should there be a standard
>> platform where
>> pre-commit build and tests should be performed.
>>

> I am personally using Fedora Core 6 (x86_64) as main development
> platform and test everything (quickly) on Fedora 7 (x86) before
> committing. But I guess other people have other platforms available. I
> do appreciate the autobuilder
Personally I think an auto-builder is here for precisely the purpose
shown, in catching architecture-release build combinations breakages. I
just do not have the time to test arch * distro. The numbers add up, and
I normally test x86 and x86_64 on Fedora 7. There's no reason to spend
expensive and scarce human-time checking these, when a build matrix can
do it better, especially when the fixes are simple oversights.

I'd rather have people contributing to features and fixing known bugs
and, to that end, making Frysk better.  And letting build matrices build
on every platform/release known to us, and linting test-cases and build
issues.

Regards

Phil