public inbox for frysk@sourceware.org
From: Andrew Cagney <cagney@redhat.com>
To: Elena Zannoni <elena.zannoni@oracle.com>, frysk@sourceware.org
Cc: Phil Muldoon <pmuldoon@redhat.com>, Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org>
Subject: Re: Again the build is broken :(
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 21:00:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Elena Zannoni wrote:
> Sure, the two things you mention are not mutually exclusive.
> However there is a cost to identifying broken builds too, and it seems
> that Mark is drawing the
> short straw frequently, since he is usually the first to correct said
> oversights. It takes away some
> of his time from development.
Quite frequently, during the American day, we encounter and quick fix
similar issues (just today there was another "oops"), and we're
successfully and co-operatively managing these hiccups through our IRC
chatter and/or through bug reports and commits.

However, we do need to be careful. Both Pearly and Mark pick up what
I'll call the night shift (from my tz pov) and so occasionally might be
first to encounter a problem also encountered by this build system.
There I think the most important thing is for us to be careful that we
don't message an expectation that Pearly and/or Mark are some how
expected to down-tools and focus all energies on getting it fixed.  As
with us during the day, back-date the check-out for a few hours 'til
things are resolved; for mark using mecurial, this is trivial.

Can I suggest:

- Moving the build farm's time to run just before US dawn so results are
better timed for us waking up; or better ...

- setting up a test system that makes available results from individual
commits and not fuzzy dates

- accept that an occasional build failure in the build farm does not
require an immediate post about the sky falling; I for instance would
only be concerned if the build failed consistently and for an identical
reason across two work days; and then my first response is still going
to be to fix it.

Andrew