public inbox for gas2@sourceware.org
* pushing up gas/binutils release
@ 1994-05-18 16:32 Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 1994-05-18 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gas2

Okay.  Since CD-ROM deadline is Thursday, I'll try to do the release
that night instead of Friday.  It's still dependent on no one finding
serious problems.

 Date: Wed, 18 May 94 18:50:03 -0400
 From: rms@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Richard Stallman)
 To: raeburn@cygnus.com
 Subject: Re: ready to release?

       If no one finds any new serious problems, I'll release
     gas-2.3 and binutils-2.4 on Friday.

 The tape has to start spinning around noon on Friday.
 I think that means you should make the release Thursday night.

* pushing up gas/binutils release
@ 1994-05-18 21:08 ` Eric Youngdale
From: Eric Youngdale @ 1994-05-18 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raeburn; +Cc: gas2

>Okay.  Since CD-ROM deadline is Thursday, I'll try to do the release
>that night instead of Friday.  It's still dependent on no one finding
>serious problems.

	My own feeling is that the release schedules and the cdrom pressing
deadlines should be completely decoupled.  This way each maintainer can release
something when it is believed to be ready and not push something out the door
without adequate testing just to meet a deadline.  I realize that you want to
always have the latest and greatest on each disc, but the end user only cares
if it works.  I wonder whether you end up shooting yourself in the foot by
advancing release dates.

-Eric

* Re: pushing up gas/binutils release
@ 1994-05-18 23:07   ` Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 1994-05-18 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Youngdale; +Cc: gas2

For the most part, I agree.  If it weren't a matter of just one day,
I'd ignore the CD-ROM deadline.  (I wasn't particularly aiming for it
in the first place.)  And in any case, these packages will not be
released before the deadline if I do not feel they are ready.

Naturally, since saying I'd try to get it out Thursday, I've received
about a half dozen messages, with patches or describing minor
problems.  I still need to go through the latest ones more carefully
and see if any are serious enough to warrant pushing it off another
couple days.  Some of the patches to come in have been installed, and
some are not necessary to have in before the release.