public inbox for gas2@sourceware.org
* new changes in gprof, bfd, gas
@ 1995-02-07 14:43 raeburn
From: raeburn @ 1995-02-07 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gas2

Some of these might be of interest to people:

From David Mosberger-Tang, revised gprof support.  Now alpha-osf
configurations are supported, and line-level profiling is available.
The latter requires bfd_find_nearest_line; currently at least ELF and
SOM are missing this support, and the SOM code aborts when it is
called.  Lots of other changes too; see gprof/NOTES for details.
Texinfo documentation should be forthcoming.

From Bryan Ford, some 16-bit assembly and msdos .exe executable file
support for the i386.  Bryan says he's managed to build a working
memory extender for DOS using this code.  And he even gave me
documentation changes.  Currently the .exe support uses a.out for
object files.

Both these changes should be in tonight's snapshot.

* Re: new changes in gprof, bfd, gas
@ 1995-02-07 16:22 David Mosberger-Tang
From: David Mosberger-Tang @ 1995-02-07 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raeburn; +Cc: law, gas2

  Ken> Probably the approach to take would be what David has already
  Ken> done for ecoff -- when line-number info is first requested,
  Ken> process it all once and build up a cache of the line number or
  Ken> procedure info in memory, then scan it efficiently later as
  Ken> needed.

As I have mentioned before, for gprof purposes, it would be much more
efficient to have a function walk_line_syms() that takes a callback
function as an argument.  The callback would be invoked once for each
line symbol and would provide the same information as
find_nearest_line() currently does (i.e., address, filename,
functionname, and line-number).  I believe this is also easier to
implement because the symbols can be processed in an order that suits
the object-file format.

Just my 2 cents though...

  Jeff>    I can certainly change the SOM backend not to abort, but
  Jeff> it's not going to give any meaningful results though (I
  Jeff> certainly hope there's an option to give the traditional gprof
  Jeff> results without using find_nearest_line).

  Ken> Yes, I believe that's the default.  And I haven't tested it out
  Ken> myself but I'm pretty sure it'll do something reasonable if
  Ken> find_nearest_line simply fails.

It works fine as long as find_nearest_line() returns false when it
doesn't have debugging info available (either because it's not
implemented or because the image doesn't have debugging info).

	--david