public inbox for gas2@sourceware.org
* Please test the binutils 2.7 release
@ 1996-07-04 14:40 Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 1996-07-04 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bfd, gas2

I've made the branch for the binutils 2.7 release.  Ken will set up
the snapshot script so that tomorrow's snapshot, and all snapshots
until the final release, will come from the branch.

Please pick up the snapshot and test it.  I would particularly like to
see it tested on Linux and *BSD.

Please let me know about any problems, so that they can be fixed
before the final release.  I don't want to drag out the testing
period, so I'll say that I will try to make the final release on
Monday, July 15.

Ian

* Re: Please test the binutils 2.7 release
@ 1996-07-08 13:59 ` Robert Lipe
From: Robert Lipe @ 1996-07-08 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: bfd, gas2

Ian Lance Taylor writes:

> I've made the branch for the binutils 2.7 release.  Ken will set up
> [ munch ]
> Please pick up the snapshot and test it.  I would particularly like to
> see it tested on Linux and *BSD.

Can't help with those, but I just built both COFF and ELF versions for
SCO OpenServer 5 and used the assembler to rebuild itself.   I realize
this is not an exhaustive test.   Since this is an x86 UNIX, it may
help your confidence on those targets.

I have used the 96q2 progressives much more and feel pretty good about
them.

> Please let me know about any problems, so that they can be fixed
> before the final release.  I don't want to drag out the testing

The configure and build was nice and boring.   Excellent work, guys!

Other than the problem you and I discussed privately, I have only
a few documention patches to offer.

*** gas/NEWS_   Fri Jun 28 11:38:02 1996
--- gas/NEWS    Mon Jul  8 13:29:36 1996
***************
*** 16,22 ****

  i386/PowerPC gnu-win32 support added.

! SCO ELF support added.

  m88k-motorola-sysv* support added.

--- 16,25 ----

  i386/PowerPC gnu-win32 support added.

! SCO ELF support added.  For OpenServer 5 targets (i386-unknown-sco3.2v5.0.0)
! the default is to build COFF-only support.  To get a set of tools that
! generate ELF (they'll understand both COFF and ELF), you must configure
! with target=i386-unknown-sco3.2v5.0.0elf.

  m88k-motorola-sysv* support added.

*** gas/README_ Mon Jul  8 13:24:13 1996
--- gas/README  Mon Jul  8 13:24:54 1996
***************
*** 182,187 ****
--- 182,188 ----
        rs6000
        unixware
        sco 3.2v4.2
+       sco openserver 5.0 (a.k.a. 3.2v5.0 )
        sparc solaris 2.3

  For cross-assemblers, I believe hosting to work on any of the machines listed

* Re: Please test the binutils 2.7 release
@ 1996-07-11 14:15 ` Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 1996-07-11 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: bfd, gas2

On Thu, 4 Jul 1996, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> I've made the branch for the binutils 2.7 release.  Ken will set up
> the snapshot script so that tomorrow's snapshot, and all snapshots
> until the final release, will come from the branch.

I am going to be unable to test any more this week.

As best I can tell, the CPU-rtems configurations are OK.  I have built
sparc-rtems, powerpc-rtems, m68k-rtems (until gcc's ss-90707 died),
and i386-rtems.

I have actually linked and run code generated by the sparc-rtems
configuration on an embedded target. I have not had enough time to do more
than see if the toolchain will build the rtems configurations of gcc
ss-96070, this binutils snapshot and newlib-1.7.0+rtems builds in the one
tree configuration.

--joel

* Re: Please test the binutils 2.7 release
@ 1996-07-12  1:07   ` Toshi Morita
From: Toshi Morita @ 1996-07-12  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Sherrill; +Cc: ian, bfd, gas2

> On Thu, 4 Jul 1996, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>
> > I've made the branch for the binutils 2.7 release.  Ken will set up
> > the snapshot script so that tomorrow's snapshot, and all snapshots
> > until the final release, will come from the branch.
>
> I am going to be unable to test any more this week.
>
> As best I can tell, the CPU-rtems configurations are OK.  I have built
> sparc-rtems, powerpc-rtems, m68k-rtems (until gcc's ss-90707 died),
> and i386-rtems.

I've just downloaded and installed gas-960711.tar.gz, and recompiled
Linux/i386 2.0.5. It boots and seems to run okay; I will let it run
overnight and see if any problems develop.

Toshi