public inbox for gas2@sourceware.org
* how to handle incompatible things in libtool?
@ 1998-01-26 20:26 Robert Lipe
From: Robert Lipe @ 1998-01-26 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gas2

Now it's time for me to pay the piper...

The SCO OpenServer compiler uses -bcoff, the default, and -belf to flip
between the two modes.  For years, there has been a well-distributed
version of GCC for OpenServer (but never an "official" one until very
recently).  Unfortunately, the newer versions use "-melf", the default,
and "-mcoff" to toggle between the modes.

I've been a derelect in checking GAS snapshots, but they don't do well
on this target on my host becuase they're finding GCC (egcs 1.0.1) and
they "know" to add -belf, which sends configure down in flames.

I'm guessing that I need to beat on these aclocal.m4 files, but they
look to be machine generated.

*-*-sco3.2v5*)
  # On SCO OpenServer 5, we need -belf to get full-featured binaries.
  CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -belf"
  ;;

will probably have to include a test of gcc and see if it supports
-belf.  If it's gcc and if -belf works, add it.  If it's gcc and -belf
fails, don't.  If it's not gcc, add -belf.

But these seem to be generated files.   If anyone can offer hints what
they're generated *from*, I think I can submit a successful patch.

Thanx.

--
Robert Lipe       http://www.dgii.com/people/robertl       robertl@dgii.com

* Re: how to handle incompatible things in libtool?
@ 1998-01-26 23:57 ` Robert Lipe
From: Robert Lipe @ 1998-01-26 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gas2

> will probably have to include a test of gcc and see if it supports
> -belf.  If it's gcc and if -belf works, add it.  If it's gcc and -belf
> fails, don't.  If it's not gcc, add -belf.
>
> But these seem to be generated files.   If anyone can offer hints what
> they're generated *from*, I think I can submit a successful patch.

Here's where I am so far.

There's a GNU package called "libtool" which contains the source
strings that get edited into this stuff.

Libtool is the package that needs to know all this.  So I have to
go give libtool all the knowledge of all the compiler options and
then use that modified libtool to rebuild the binutils package.

Ugh.

RJL