public inbox for gas2@sourceware.org
* PE format executable information
@ 1994-05-15 11:50 Eric Youngdale
From: Eric Youngdale @ 1994-05-15 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gas2; +Cc: wine-users

	Does anyone have a good reference for the format of Win32 executables
(also known as PE format binaries)?

	The reason I ask is that I would like to start in on Win32 support to
Wine by accumulating the information required to pick apart Win32 binaries.

-Eric

* PE format executable information
@ 1994-05-15 13:06 ` Arthur Kreitman
From: Arthur Kreitman @ 1994-05-15 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ericy; +Cc: gas2, wine-users

>	   Does anyone have a good reference for the format of Win32 executables
>   (also known as PE format binaries)?

  Look in the file ntimage.h (its part of the windows nt sdk)

* Re: PE format executable information: yes!
@ 1994-05-19 15:53 ` John Gilmore
From: John Gilmore @ 1994-05-19 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Youngdale; +Cc: gas2, wine-users, gnu

There is a group called the Tool Interface Standards committee that
produced a solid spec for PE, publicly available (on paper, at least).
I don't know where to get a copy of the spec online.

Cygnus tried to join the group, but never heard back from them.
Here's my notes.

	John Gilmore

Open Systems Today, March 1, 1993.  Committee is Borland,
IBM, Intel, Lotus, MetaWare, Microsoft, SCO, Watcom.

Contact: David Bernstein, director of technology at SCO.

Volume 1:  Portable executable format (from Windows NT) and STI (symbol
	   and type information).
Volume 2:  ELF, DWARF, and OMF.

Version 1.0 of the standard is free of charge on request.
Available from Intel.  +1 800 548 4725
Order # 241-597
Takes 7-10 working days.

Ordered 3/15/93.

	John

Arrived from:

	Tool Interface Standards
	c/o Intel Corporation
	RN6-30
	2200 Mission College Blvd.
	Santa Clara, CA  95052

signature space left for "Secretary, TIS Committee", but not signed.

"The TIS Committee is an open forum in which corporations can provide
leadership for advancing the PC software market.  The Committee
welcomes participation by new company members.  Interested companies
can learn more about TIS by using Intel ACCESS on CompuServe."

	John

* Re: PE format executable information: yes!
@ 1994-05-19 16:20   ` Robert Lipe
From: Robert Lipe @ 1994-05-19 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Gilmore; +Cc: ericy, gas2, wine-users, gnu

I hate people that listen to a conversation and then say, "Yeah,
I knew that."  This just didn't sound familiar then.  Sorry.

John Gilmore writes:

> There is a group called the Tool Interface Standards committee that
> produced a solid spec for PE, publicly available (on paper, at least).
> I don't know where to get a copy of the spec online.

If you're talking about that I think you're talking about,
 ftp.intel.com:/pub/IAL/TIS contains some of this stuff.

>Volume 1:  Portable executable format (from Windows NT) and STI (symbol
> 	   and type information).

My guess is this is portable_formats/pf11p.gps

> Volume 2:  ELF, DWARF, and OMF.

-rw-r--r--  1 71       50         120951 Mar 25 00:58 dwf11.zip
-rw-r--r--  1 71       50          76670 Mar 25 00:58 elf11g.zip
-rw-r--r--  1 71       50         112573 Mar 25 00:58 omf11g.zip
drwxr-xr-x  2 71       50            512 Mar 25 00:58 portable_formats
-rw-r--r--  1 71       50         187651 Mar 25 00:58 sym10g.zip
drwxr-xr-x  2 71       50            512 Mar 25 00:58 windows_formats

I don't remember how I stumbled across this, but it's in my
mrolo under Intel.

Hope this helps someone.

--
Robert Lipe,    Sr. Software Engr,    Arnet Corp.     robertl@arnet.com

* PE format executable information: yes!
@ 1994-05-20  8:11     ` Arthur Kreitman
From: Arthur Kreitman @ 1994-05-20  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: robertl; +Cc: gnu, ericy, gas2, wine-users, gnu

>   My guess is this is portable_formats/pf11p.gps

  That file contains only a cover page.  The rest must be an exercize for the
reader.

  Intel's intent for TIS was on binary/debugging format that would be used by
all x86 tools vendors.  They picked dwarf for that format, ignoring the
dos market that used omf, and the emerging nt/win32 market which is
coff'ish.

   There was a recent issue of "Microsoft Systems Journal" that went into
the PE is some detail. I don't remember the issue date.