public inbox for gas2@sourceware.org
* Re: Warning about backwards Orgs
@ 1995-03-14 15:08 Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 1995-03-14 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbrooks; +Cc: gas2

The best way to submit a patch is with the UNIX "diff" utility -- make
"context" or "unified" diffs, which note exactly which lines are
changed, old versions and new, as well as the surrounding context --
and to base your changes on a recent snapshot of the development
version on ftp.cygnus.com in ~ftp/private/gas.

In this case, your "original code" section doesn't match what's in the
current sources, so I have to do a bit more work to integrate your
changes with the other changes that have taken place in that code.
This is a small piece of code, though, so it's not that much work.  I
have to shut down my workstation momentarily, but I should be able to
look at it more closely later.

Ken

* Warning about backwards Orgs
@ 1995-03-14 14:38 Brooks, John
From: Brooks, John @ 1995-03-14 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gas2 @ Cygnus

    I have a patch for gas (made to the version released with
binutils-2.5.2) which displays a warning when an Org fails (due to trying
to org backwards).

    I am unfamiliar with patch submission protocol, but the patch follows
for those who are interested:

FILE:      write.c
FUNCTION:  cvt_frag_to_fill

ORIGINAL CODE:

    case rs_org:
#ifdef HANDLE_ALIGN
      HANDLE_ALIGN (fragP);
#endif
      fragP->fr_type = rs_fill;
      know (fragP->fr_next != NULL);

PATCHED CODE:

    case rs_org:
#ifdef HANDLE_ALIGN
      HANDLE_ALIGN (fragP);
#endif
      know (fragP->fr_next != NULL);
   if ( fragP->fr_type == rs_org)
   {
   if ( fragP->fr_offset < fragP->fr_next->fr_address)
    as_warn ("Org failed! Org address changed from 0x%08X to 0x%08X\n",
       fragP->fr_offset, fragP->fr_next->fr_address);
   }
      fragP->fr_type = rs_fill;

John Brooks                                      email:  jbrooks@ea.com
Technical Director - Coin-Op Division            Phone:  415-513-7736
Electronic Arts                                  Fax:
415-513-7449