public inbox for gas2@sourceware.org
* .align behavior in gas
@ 1995-04-25 16:10 Bryan Ford
From: Bryan Ford @ 1995-04-25 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gas2

In recent gas snapshots, it seems that for some i386 targets
(e.g. i386-mach, i386-gnu), gas interprets the .align directive
as a number of bytes; whereas for other targets (e.g. i386-linux)
it is interpreted as log2(nbytes).  Has this always been the case?
Are there any other directives that perform the same function but
have a consistent behavior?  (I looked at gas/read.c, but couldn't
find anything.)  If not, it would be very useful to have a new directive
called, say, '.balign' that always takes a number of bytes, and/or a new
directive called something like '.p2align' that always takes a power of
two.  (I don't care what it is, as long as it's consistent!)   This
should be trivial to do; just a matter of adding a new line or two
to read.c, right?

Thanks!

				Bryan
---