* Ada build help
@ 2002-08-28 18:03 me
From: me @ 2002-08-28 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Target Machine: Compaq DEC ALPHA XP900 EV6 processor
Target Platform: Compaq Tru64 Unix 4.0F

A couple of questions:

(1)    What do I need in addition to gcc-3.1 (and the basics which it more
or less requires e.g. gmake, autoconf, automake, m4, etc) in order to get
the Ada portion of GCC-3.1 to build?  I can build all of GCC-3.1 with the
exception of Ada.  I understand that GNAT is written mostly in Ada and
requires Ada to build it or at least gnat1, gnatbind, etc.  The build
instructions are a bit confusing to me as they say I need a previous working
version of GNAT or GCC-3.1 or higher.  Since I am building GCC-3.1 and have
no Ada whatsoever, does this mean my only option is to build an earlier
verison of GNAT?  If this is the case will I encounter a similar problem
building an earlier version of GNAT?

I guess what I am really asking is how do I build GNAT without GNAT?

I am fairly new at this and these questions are probably pretty basic to you
guys but any help (or URL references on the subject) would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Bert

* Re: Ada build help
@ 2002-08-30 16:01 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2002-08-30 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: me; +Cc: gcc-help

"me" <btrant@houston.rr.com> writes:

> I guess what I am really asking is how do I build GNAT without GNAT?

You can't, really.  You need to get a GNAT binary first, e.g. from
ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/ .