* Re: help on vi
@ 2000-05-09  4:14 Mahadev Cholachgudda
From: Mahadev Cholachgudda @ 2000-05-09  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rakesh Nair; +Cc: help-gcc

hello,

u have to set the environment variable TERM and have to export it to child
shells. follow the below procedure.

in ur .profile file append the following.

TERM=vt100
export TERM

save the file and logout. again login to the linux, open vi and try the
arrow keys.

regards
mahadev

From: llewelly @ 2000-05-09  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rakesh Nair; +Cc: 'help-gcc@gnu.org'

On Tue, 9 May 2000, Rakesh Nair wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have installed vi on my terminal
>
> My terminal type is ansi.
>
> But for moving my cursor I still have to use h ,,j ,k ,l  keys instead of my arrow keys.
>
> But I have noticed on certain other unix systems that arrow  keys are used for this purpose. Which file should I modify & how should I do it?
>
> Any immediate help will be highly appreciated...

This list is for help with gcc. This question is unrelated to gcc. It
  should have been sent to a vi help forum, like vim@vim.org, or the
  newsgroup comp.editors.

(Many people on this list use emacs, kdevelop, ed, cat, or some other
  editor, and (like me) cannot answer vi questions.)

I believe Pascal Bleser answered your question.

[snip]

* Re: help on vi
@ 2000-05-09  3:22 ` Pascal Bleser
From: Pascal Bleser @ 2000-05-09  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rakesh Nair; +Cc: 'help-gcc@gnu.org'

Rakesh Nair wrote:
> But for moving my cursor I still have to use h ,,j ,k ,l  keys instead of my arrow keys.
> But I have noticed on certain other unix systems that arrow  keys are used for this purpose. Which file should I modify & how should I do it?
> Any immediate help will be highly appreciated...

In fact, it depends on *which* vi you have installed.
Take vim or elvis, they rock ;)

If you have Linux, they're certainly both shipped with your
distribution.
If not, download the sources and compile...

http://freshmeat.net/search.php3?query=vim
http://freshmeat.net/search.php3?query=elvis

--
  -o) / Pascal Bleser          ATOS Payment Systems|
  /\\ \ C++/UNIX Development        Aachen, Germany|

* help on vi
@ 2000-05-09  3:00 Rakesh Nair