* Tail Call Optimization
@ 2003-09-01 13:14 Singh Pradyuman-R50282
From: Singh Pradyuman-R50282 @ 2003-09-01 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org'; +Cc: Singh Pradyuman-R50282

Hi,

Does anyone know of any definitive work on the tailcall optimization.
 I'm looking for work on what can be risky situations in which tailcall can cause problems or some documents on what to watchout for while implementing tailcall.

Thanks in advance,
Pradyuman.

* Re: Tail Call Optimization
@ 2003-09-01 14:24 ` Wojtek Narczynski
From: Wojtek Narczynski @ 2003-09-01 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Singh Pradyuman-R50282; +Cc: gcc-help

Hello,

> Does anyone know of any definitive work on the tailcall optimization.
> I'm looking for work on what can be risky situations in which tailcall
> can cause problems or some documents on what to watchout for while
> implementing tailcall.

It may be langage (being implemented) dependent. "Modern compiler
implementation in ML" by Andrew W. Appel covers this subject at basic
level.

I cannot think of any serious potential problems. The not serious ones
could be: 1. turing out-of-stack into infinite loop, 2. causing a very
badly written threaded program to go wild.

Regards,
Wojtek