* GNU installation
@ 2004-08-31  3:57 Chris Fernando
From: Chris Fernando @ 2004-08-31  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Dear gcc-help,

Is there a way of getting GCC installed on Linux if there is no compiler
already installed on the system?  The machine does not have rpm
installed, either.

It has been suggested that I could try using rpm2tar on an RPM binary,
but I've also been told I will get a lot of gcclib problems if I do that.

Any advice?

Thanks

--
Mr Chris Fernando
Computer Systems Officer IT & MULTIMEDIA GROUP

Mail:    Level 3, Bld 15,
        Monash University Vic 3800
Phone:   9905 1335  Fax: 9905 8134
Email:   chris.fernando@med.monash.edu.au
Jobdesk: http://jobdesk.med.monash.edu.au
ITM Website: http://itm.med.monash.edu.au

* Re: GNU installation
@ 2004-08-31 11:48 ` Arno Wilhelm
From: Arno Wilhelm @ 2004-08-31 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Fernando; +Cc: gcc-help

> Is there a way of getting GCC installed on Linux if there is no compiler
> already installed on the system?  The machine does not have rpm
> installed, either.
>
> It has been suggested that I could try using rpm2tar on an RPM binary,
> but I've also been told I will get a lot of gcclib problems if I do that.
>
> Any advice?

You could try to unpack the rpm packet with mc (midnight commander) and put the library's/ececutables etc. in the proper directory by yourself.
The spec file should give you a hint on where to put it.

Arno