* Help installing gcc
@ 2003-12-12  8:55 Josie Ellis
From: Josie Ellis @ 2003-12-12  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, gcc-help

Hello gcc helpers,

I have installed cygwin on my laptop computer, which runs Windows 98.

I have downloaded all of the necessary files to install gcc, and put them
in a folder C:/gcc-3.2.2

I have made another folder called C:/gcc-objdir

And then I went to that directory and typed C:/gcc-3.2.2/configure

And the following error message appeared:

sed: not found

I have no idea what that means and therefore do not know how to
successfully configure and ultimately install gcc.  Any help you can offer
would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,

Josie Ellis

* Re: Help installing GCC
@ 2010-01-04  9:10 Bill McEnaney
From: Bill McEnaney @ 2010-01-04  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Polyak, gcc-help

Hi Andrew,

Why not type "gcc" and then the "return" key when you're in a terminal
window?  I always run gcc from a command line.   So to compile a program
named "helloworld.c," I'd type "gcc helloworld.c" and press the "return"
key.

Cheers,
Bill

> Hi.
>
> I'm trying to install GCC on my Kubuntu system.
>
> I downloaded it through the software manager and ran a .deb file.
>
> I believe that it is installed, but I don't know how to run it.
>
> I have the 4.4.2 version.
>

> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> a kubuntu newbie

Please visit a saintly hero:
http://www.jakemoore.org

* Re: Help installing GCC
@ 2010-01-04  3:28 ` Jie Zhang
From: Jie Zhang @ 2010-01-04  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Polyak; +Cc: gcc-help

On 01/04/2010 10:47 AM, Andrew Polyak wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm trying to install GCC on my Kubuntu system.
>
> I downloaded it through the software manager and ran a .deb file.
>
> I believe that it is installed, but I don't know how to run it.

First try

$ gcc --version

It should print out something like

gcc (Debian 4.4.2-8) 4.4.2

Then use your favorite editor to edit a file named hello.c

$ cat hello.c
#include <stdio.h>

int main ()
{
   printf ("Hello GCC!\n");
   return 0;
}

Compile it to an executable using GCC:

$ gcc -o hello hello.c

Run the executable:

$ ./hello
Hello GCC!

Finally you can further read GCC manual:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.4.2/gcc/

Jie

* Help installing GCC
@ 2010-01-04  2:47 Andrew Polyak
From: Andrew Polyak @ 2010-01-04  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

@ 2005-07-06 20:25 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2005-07-06 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Radoslav; +Cc: gcc-help

Radoslav <radoslav_noname@yahoo.com> writes:

> I need help about installing GCC on RedHat
> distribution. Please send me some help how to install
> it so i can run the adds that require GCC.

Have you tried "up2date gcc"?

Ian

* Help installing GCC
@ 2005-07-06  9:34 Radoslav
From: Radoslav @ 2005-07-06  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I need help about installing GCC on RedHat
distribution. Please send me some help how to install
it so i can run the adds that require GCC.

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

* Help installing gcc
       [not found] <BE070580.14E%kelmandor@hotmail.com>
@ 2005-01-10  0:01 ` dor kelman
From: dor kelman @ 2005-01-10  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello, I am trying to install the gcc compiler on three old macs using
os10.1.15. The computers are not connected to the internet so I need to know
how to put them on a disk and what to do to install it on the computers.
Thank you very much.
kelmandor@hotmail.com

* Re: Help installing gcc
@ 2005-01-08  7:09 ` Long Li
From: Long Li @ 2005-01-08  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Christena, gcc-help

I came up with the same problem when I installed
Fedora  core 3. You need to install the RPM of GCC by
yourself, then. It is on Disk 3 or 4. (I can not
remember clearly the exact disk number). Just go
through the RPM directory and you will find gcc-3.4.x.
You need to be a root to install the RPM.

Long

--- Charles Christena <charles.christena@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm new to Linux, and i'm using Fedora Core 3. I'm
> trying to install
> the latest NVIDIA drivers for my system, but when I
> do, it says that
> it needs to compile something, but gcc is either not
> installed, or not
> in the path. I've searched around the forums to get
> some help with
> this, but I can't find anything that applies, or i'm
> too new and
> stupid to understand what they are talking about..
> if you could give
> me some instructions i would appreciate it...

http://my.yahoo.com

* Help installing gcc
@ 2005-01-08  0:45 Charles Christena
From: Charles Christena @ 2005-01-08  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I'm new to Linux, and i'm using Fedora Core 3. I'm trying to install
the latest NVIDIA drivers for my system, but when I do, it says that
it needs to compile something, but gcc is either not installed, or not
in the path. I've searched around the forums to get some help with
this, but I can't find anything that applies, or i'm too new and
stupid to understand what they are talking about..  if you could give
me some instructions i would appreciate it...

* Re: Help Installing GCC
@ 2004-12-02 11:55 ` Claudio Bley
From: Claudio Bley @ 2004-12-02 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 03:55:51PM -0500, Jeffrey A. LeGay wrote:
> I am a real newbie to the UNIX world.  I am presently trying to get BIND
> 9.3.0 installed on an Ultra 5 box with Solaris 9.  I am getting an error
> about, "compiler cannot create executables".  From what I am reading it
> sounds like I need a compiler installed on Solaris.  I downloaded
> gcc_small-3.4.2-sol9-sparc-local.gz and unzipped it.  I now have an
> executable named gcc_smal and I don't know what to do with it.  I will
> appreciate any advice on where to go from here!

Hi,

at first, I think this is a bit off topic here, since you're asking how to
install software provided by sunfreeware.com and you should have asked there
if you didn't understand or just haven't read the instructions.

<quote src="http://www.sunfreeware.com/sol26left2.html">
To install a file you have downloaded, follow the example here: For
example, if you were to download a gzipped package
foo-1.00-sol8-sparc-local.gz into directory /tmp, to install this package,
you would use the following commands:

cd /tmp
gunzip foo-1.00-sol8-sparc-local.gz
pkgadd -d foo-1.00-sol8-sparc-local

The pkgadd command must be run as root. Do NOT put a ., ./, or the directory
name in front of the file name in pkgadd!
</quote>

Also make sure that you read the comments on the GCC 3.4.2 package here:
http://www.sunfreeware.com/gcc.html

Especially the first paragraph:

<quote>
To use the gcc package from sunfreeware.com you MUST install all of the SUNW
deveoper packages that come on Sun's Solaris CDs.
</quote>

HTH
--
Claudio

* Help Installing GCC
@ 2004-12-01 20:56 Jeffrey A. LeGay
From: Jeffrey A. LeGay @ 2004-12-01 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I am a real newbie to the UNIX world.  I am presently trying to get BIND
9.3.0 installed on an Ultra 5 box with Solaris 9.  I am getting an error
about, "compiler cannot create executables".  From what I am reading it
sounds like I need a compiler installed on Solaris.  I downloaded
gcc_small-3.4.2-sol9-sparc-local.gz and unzipped it.  I now have an
executable named gcc_smal and I don't know what to do with it.  I will
appreciate any advice on where to go from here!

Jeff A. LeGay

Network Administrator
Crossroads Technologies, Inc.
jlegay@crossroadstech.net

* RE: Help installing gcc
@ 2003-12-12 18:38 Ramadass, Ramanathan
From: Ramadass, Ramanathan @ 2003-12-12 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J.R.Ellis, gcc, gcc-help

Hi Ellis,

It seems you have not installed cygwin completely. When you run the cygwin setup program it pops up a small dialog box which will show GROUPS of utilities. You need to expand the groups and make sure the utilities you are looking for are checked. The default settings only install some utils. I generally expand each group and check everything so that i can have the complete set of utilities.

HTH
Ram