* Compiling 2.95.2 on Solaris 2.6 x86
@ 2001-01-30 11:44 Quentin Bennett
From: Quentin Bennett @ 2001-01-30 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org'

Hi,

I came across two problems doing this.

My first attempt was

cd /data/src/gcc
gzip -d gcc-2.95.2.tar.gz
tar xf gcc-2.95.2.tar
mkdir gccobjs
cd gccobjs
../gcc-2.95.2/configure
make bootstrap

This resulted in the system.h header not being found for texinfo/makeinfo,
because it was looked for in /data/src/gcc/gccobjs/texinfo/lib, when in fact
it was in /data/src/gcc/gcc.2-95.2/texinfo/lib. i.e. the -I ../lib pointed
to the object directories, not the source directories.

So next I did

cd ../gcc-2.95.2		# go back to source
./configure
make bootstrap

This was more successful until doing a make compare in ./gcc, when the
following command:

case "compare" in compare | compare-lean ) stage=2 ;; * ) stage=`echo
compare | sed -e 's,^compare\([0-9][0-9]*\).*,\1,'` ;; esac; \
for file in *.o; do \
  tail +16c ./$file > tmp-foo1; \
  tail +16c stage$stage/$file > tmp-foo2 \
    && (cmp tmp-foo1 tmp-foo2 > /dev/null 2>&1 || echo $file differs >>
.bad_compare) || true; \
done
case "compare" in compare | compare-lean ) stage=2 ;; * ) stage=`echo
compare | sed -e 's,^compare\([0-9][0-9]*\).*,\1,'` ;; esac; \
for dir in tmp-foo intl ch cp f java objc; do \
  if [ "`echo $dir/*.o`" != "$dir/*.o" ] ; then \
    for file in $dir/*.o; do \
      tail +16c ./$file > tmp-foo1; \
      tail +16c stage$stage/$file > tmp-foo2 \
        && (cmp tmp-foo1 tmp-foo2 > /dev/null 2>&1 || echo $file differs >>
.bad_compare) || true; \
    done; \
  else true; fi; \
done

failed with:

Bootstrap comparison failure!
cppinit.o differs
g77spec.o differs
genattrtab.o differs
cp/decl.o differs
f/data.o differs
f/target.o differs
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `compare'

Any suggestions anyone.

Thanks in advance.

Quentin Bennett
Transport Systems Division
Infinity Solutions
mailto:quentin.bennett@infinity.co.nz
http://www.infinity.co.nz

The information contained in this email is privileged and confidential
and intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are asked to respect that confidentiality and not
disclose, copy or make use of its contents. If received in error
you are asked to destroy this email and contact the sender immediately.
Your assistance is appreciated.

* RE: Compiling 2.95.2 on Solaris 2.6 x86
@ 2001-01-31  3:32 David Korn
From: David Korn @ 2001-01-31  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org'

>cd /data/src/gcc
>gzip -d gcc-2.95.2.tar.gz
>tar xf gcc-2.95.2.tar
>mkdir gccobjs
>cd gccobjs
>../gcc-2.95.2/configure
>make bootstrap
>
>This resulted in the system.h header not being found for
>texinfo/makeinfo,
>because it was looked for in
>/data/src/gcc/gccobjs/texinfo/lib, when in fact
>it was in /data/src/gcc/gcc.2-95.2/texinfo/lib. i.e. the -I
>../lib pointed
>to the object directories, not the source directories.

  That's strange.  Are you using GNU make?  Building when objdir != srcdir
requires a make utility that understands the VPATH macro, I don't know
whether the solaris make does or not.

  I don't have any immediate guesses to offer about the comparison
failures.

      DaveK
--
The Boulder Pledge: "Under no circumstances will I ever purchase anything
offered to me as the result of an unsolicited email message. Nor will I

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com