* help about linking a library
@ 2002-08-30  9:58 RajasekharReddy Guntaka
From: RajasekharReddy Guntaka @ 2002-08-30  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi group,
When I compile an GUI program with gcc, command gives ld exit status.

I compiled a program with fallowing command.
gcc -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/openwin/include -I/homes/guntaka/pub/guide/include -DMAIN -D_OTHER_TEXTSW_FUNCTIONS -DHARDWIRED -g -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/openwin/lib -L/homes/guntaka/pub/guide/lib -o dlx_hw dlx_ui.o hw_ui.o dlx_stubs.o dlx_paint.o dlxasm.o dlx_mem.o dlx_simu.o datapath.o dp_op.o hw_ed_op.o hw_init.o hw_cu.o hw_file.o hw_paint.o -lguide -lguidexv -lxview -lolgx -lX11 -lpixrect

I put guide and guidexv in /homes/guntaka/pub/guide

the command gives th fallowing error.
cannot find -lpixrectld returned 1 exit status.

but i am sure that pixrect header files is in /usr/openwin/include
I think I have to create some library file like libpixrect.a
Is it in system library default.
Or how can I create that library file

please help me.

sincerely,
RajasekharaReddy Guntaka
hauptstr.16 D-30457 Hannover

WWW.COM - Where the Web Begins! http://www.www.com

Express yourself with a super cool email address from BigMailBox.com.
Hundreds of choices. It's free!
http://www.bigmailbox.com

* Re: help about linking a library
@ 2002-09-02  3:30 ` Claudio Bley
From: Claudio Bley @ 2002-09-02  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: RajasekharReddy Guntaka; +Cc: gcc-help

    RG> I compiled a program with fallowing command.  gcc
    RG> -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/openwin/include
    RG> -I/homes/guntaka/pub/guide/include -DMAIN
    RG> -D_OTHER_TEXTSW_FUNCTIONS -DHARDWIRED -g -L/usr/local/lib
    RG> -L/usr/openwin/lib -L/homes/guntaka/pub/guide/lib -o dlx_hw
    RG> dlx_ui.o hw_ui.o dlx_stubs.o dlx_paint.o dlxasm.o dlx_mem.o
    RG> dlx_simu.o datapath.o dp_op.o hw_ed_op.o hw_init.o hw_cu.o
    RG> hw_file.o hw_paint.o -lguide -lguidexv -lxview -lolgx -lX11
    RG> -lpixrect

    RG> I put guide and guidexv in /homes/guntaka/pub/guide

    RG> the command gives th fallowing error.  cannot find -lpixrectld
    RG> returned 1 exit status.

    RG> but i am sure that pixrect header files is in
    RG> /usr/openwin/include

This is irrelevant - the linker returned an error stating it can't
find a library file (not header file).

    RG> I think I have to create some library file like libpixrect.a
    RG> Is it in system library default.  how can I create that
    RG> library file

Are you sure you need that library? Try to compile without the
-lpixrect switch. You can create that file by compiling the software
this library belongs to or you possibly find an already compiled
version for your architecture and OS. Just search the web - google is
your friend.

Claudio