From: root <master@polyu.edu.hk>
To: help-gcc@gnu.org
Subject: Re: gcc and linux newbie's question
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 22:24:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Tim Prince wrote:

> > set CC in your environment before running configure.
>
> >2) Does it mean I should set those things before configuration?
>
> yes, according to your shell, along the lines of
>
> export CC=/usr/bin/gcc
> or
> setenv CC /bin/cc
>
> so that $CC invokes the compiler you wish to use for initial bootstrap

Thanks Tim, but I still encounter some problems.

According to http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html ,

"We use srcdir to refer to the toplevel source directory
for GCC; we use objdir to refer to the toplevel
build/object directory."

(a) I name the source dir and the object dir as follow:
    srcdir   /usr/local/src/gcc-2.95.2   (I unpacked the bzip2 files
here)
    objdir   /usr/local/bin/gcc-objdir   (currently empty)
Can I remove these two directories after the compiler
is built? If not, are there any preferred directories to
hold the "sources" and "objects"? Or are there any
preferred names for the directories?

(b) Now I set CC by   export CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc.
Am I correct?

(c) From objdir, I issue the command   src/configure.
However, I got the following error message: "config.guess
failed to determine the host type. You need to specify one".
It then list the option   --host=HOST. But what should
the HOST be (I use Linux on a PC with an AMD K6-2
300MHz CPU)? This wasn't mentioned in the installation
instruction.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers, Hankel