From: Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@adelaide.on.net>
To: help-gcc@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Man pages for C commands
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 22:24:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Robert J. Sprawls wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Dec 1999 17:18:00 -0800, JAY LULLA <JAY.LULLA@Sun.COM> wrote:
> >Hi. How does one set up the station so that C commands are tied into the
> >man pages?
> >
> >When downloading GNU gcc, is there a specific directory where the man
> >info is located, and if you add this dir to the manpath, then one can do
> >stuff like 'man malloc'?
> >
> >Is man info part of the gcc source but not the binary executable
> >version?
>
> Installing the compiler should install the man pages. There is a
> seperate NG for gcc related issues. You should ask there.
>
> Robert

On UNIX and UNIX like systems the gcc installation often uses the
libraries supplied with the operating system for standard C functions
and many others. The man pages for these come with the operating system
but installation with the operating system may be optional either in
total or section by section. You probably need to look to your operating
system installation if these are not already available.

There may be the occassional system where the normal system supplied
libraries are sufficiently strange in linkage etc. as to make the
adaption of gcc to those libraries impracticable - I don't know what the
GNU approach is in this circumstance.

The gcc installation should however supply man pages for gcc specifics
such as 'gcc' and 'cpp' but more detailed help on these is usually
supplied with the installation using the GNU 'info' system.

Malcolm