* sun solaris 2.6 - gnu programs do not run
@ 1999-11-29  7:25 C. Kumar
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: C. Kumar @ 1999-11-29  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

We have a solaris machine with solaris 2.6. Whenever we try to run
programns like make I get the folowing message.

make: fata: libc.so.1: version 'SUNW_1.18' not found (required by file
make)
Killed

We have another solaris machine with 2.6 and with identicl libc.so.1
where the same programs work.

Does anybody out there know a solution to this problem?

Thanx

* Re: sun solaris 2.6 - gnu programs do not run
@ 1999-11-29  7:47 ` Maurizio Loreti
From: Maurizio Loreti @ 1999-11-29  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

"C. Kumar" <kumarc@earthlink.net> writes:

> We have a solaris machine with solaris 2.6. Whenever we try to run
> programns like make I get the folowing message.
>
> make: fata: libc.so.1: version 'SUNW_1.18' not found (required by file
> make)
> Killed
>
> We have another solaris machine with 2.6 and with identicl libc.so.1
> where the same programs work.
>
> Does anybody out there know a solution to this problem?

Does libc.so.1 exist somewhere?
Is its directory included in LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

--
Maurizio Loreti                         http://www.pd.infn.it/~loreti/mlo.html
Univ. of Padova, Dept. of Physics - Padova, Italy            loreti@pd.infn.it

* Re: sun solaris 2.6 - gnu programs do not run
@ 1999-11-29  8:05   ` C. Kumar
From: C. Kumar @ 1999-11-29  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Yes I just verified . it exists and points to /usr/lib which has the libc.so.1

@ 1999-11-30 23:28     ` C. Kumar
From: C. Kumar @ 1999-11-30 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-11-30 23:28 ` C. Kumar
From: C. Kumar @ 1999-11-30 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-11-30 23:28 ` Rod Evans
From: Rod Evans @ 1999-11-30 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

In article 746D057B@earthlink.net, "C. Kumar" <kumarc@earthlink.net> writes:
> We have a solaris machine with solaris 2.6. Whenever we try to run
> programns like make I get the folowing message.
>
> make: fata: libc.so.1: version 'SUNW_1.18' not found (required by file
> make)
> Killed

Seems your make was built on a machine offering libc.so.1 with the SUNW_1.18
interface definition, and this interface isn't available on your 2.6
machine.  2.6 machines I've looked at only provide libc.so.1's SUNW_1.17
interface.  Use pvs(1) to inspect your application and libraries.

> We have another solaris machine with 2.6 and with identicl libc.so.1
> where the same programs work.

Is it identical?  check with pvs(1).

Rod.

---

Rod.

* Re: sun solaris 2.6 - gnu programs do not run
@ 1999-11-30 23:28   ` Maurizio Loreti
From: Maurizio Loreti @ 1999-11-30 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-12-17  7:17     ` vrml3d.com
From: vrml3d.com @ 1999-12-17  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

> > > We have another solaris machine with 2.6 and with identicl libc.so.1
> > > where the same programs work.

I had a problem like this once.  The makefile had been sent to me through
Lotus Notes.  It seems lotus replaces tabs with spaces, and Solaris make
minds very much if you do that.  You can imagine how crazy that drove us.
If you have the original tarball that you know works, try copying that to
the machine with the problem.

* Re: sun solaris 2.6 - gnu programs do not run
@ 1999-12-31 22:24       ` vrml3d.com
From: vrml3d.com @ 1999-12-31 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc