* using make on big Java projects
@ 1999-12-01 17:01 oneself
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: oneself @ 1999-12-01 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Hi!

I have just recently started writing makefiles and using make.
and I want to it on an already existing, very big Java project
that contains something like 500 files in an elaborate tree structure.
from the brief but decisive acquaintance I had with make there was
one thing that became obvious to me, and that is that I had to actually
put in every file name in the make file. and,if I was bored enough,
their dependencies.

my first question is, am I right or wrong. if I'm wrong then how can
I make make make my whole project with out putting in every
file name in the makefile.
if I'm write, are there any tools out there that make this task easier
to manage.

                            thanks.

* Re: using make on big Java projects
@ 1999-12-02  9:10 ` dpace
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: dpace @ 1999-12-02  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Take a look at autoconf/automake.

Also,
ls *.java  > Makefile
or
find . -name '*.java' -print >Makefile

Is a great starting point that avoids typing the names.

--
David Pace - Free commodity/stock graphing software
and Linux links at http://www.daveware.com

* Re: using make on big Java projects
@ 1999-12-02 19:54 ` hwidjaja
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: hwidjaja @ 1999-12-02 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

if you handling lot of files in a big project, I recommend OTC makeit
(www.dscpl.com.au) which has the capability to handle Java files.
however, it takes a while to setup, but once you get it  going..
OTC makeit is really useful.
fyi, otc makeit uses gnu make ...

cheers,
hwidjaja
In article < 3845C34E.4FFB923A@usa.net >,
  oneself <oneself@usa.net> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have just recently started writing makefiles and using make.
> and I want to it on an already existing, very big Java project
> that contains something like 500 files in an elaborate tree structure.
> from the brief but decisive acquaintance I had with make there was
> one thing that became obvious to me, and that is that I had to
actually
> put in every file name in the make file. and,if I was bored enough,
> their dependencies.
>
> my first question is, am I right or wrong. if I'm wrong then how can
> I make make make my whole project with out putting in every
> file name in the makefile.
> if I'm write, are there any tools out there that make this task easier
> to manage.
>
>                             thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: using make on big Java projects
@ 1999-12-03  2:31 ` Volker Borchert
From: Volker Borchert @ 1999-12-03  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Check on $(wildcard   ).

--

"I'm a doctor, not a mechanic." Dr Leonard McCoy <mccoy@ncc1701.starfleet.fed>
"I'm a mechanic, not a doctor." Volker Borchert  <bt@teknon.de>

* Re: using make on big Java projects
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-12-03  8:25 ` Paul D. Smith
From: Paul D. Smith @ 1999-12-03  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

%% oneself <oneself@usa.net> writes:

  o> I have just recently started writing makefiles and using make.  and
  o> I want to it on an already existing, very big Java project that
  o> contains something like 500 files in an elaborate tree structure.
  o> from the brief but decisive acquaintance I had with make there was
  o> one thing that became obvious to me, and that is that I had to
  o> actually put in every file name in the make file. and,if I was
  o> bored enough, their dependencies.

Typically build environments use some sort of automated dependency
detection method.  No one ever bothers to write header dependencies by
hand anymore.

There are many solutions for C.  I'm not familiar with Java so I can't
advise you on that aspect of it.

  o> my first question is, am I right or wrong. if I'm wrong then how
  o> can I make make make my whole project with out putting in every
  o> file name in the makefile.  if I'm write, are there any tools out
  o> there that make this task easier to manage.

If you want to find every *.java filename for example, look at
$(wildcard ...).  If you need something more flexible (every filename in
a deep directory structure maybe), try $(shell ...)

  FILES := $(shell find . -name \*.java -print)

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>         Network Management Development

* using make on big Java projects
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-12-31 22:24 ` oneself