* gcc on SOLARIS 7 ('__builtin_va_alist' and info files)
@ 1999-12-21 23:09 Bryan Lovquist
From: Bryan Lovquist @ 1999-12-21 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Hello

I recently downloaded gcc 2.8.1 and am attempting to compile some programs under SOLARIS 7.

I am getting the following error;

aim.c:514: '__builtin_va_alist' undeclared (...

I have looked in the supplied '*.h' files that came with the release and cannot find a declaration anywhere. Does anybody have any ideas?

Also could somebody give me a hint as what tools I need to read the documentation. There are a number of '*.info' files that came with the release.

Thanks
Bryan Lovquist

* Re: gcc on SOLARIS 7 ('__builtin_va_alist' and info files)
@ 1999-12-22  5:58 ` Kai Ruottu
From: Kai Ruottu @ 1999-12-22  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999 18:06:03 +1100, Bryan Lovquist <bkl@cps.com.au>
wrote:

>Hello
>
>I recently downloaded gcc 2.8.1 and am attempting to compile some programs under SOLARIS 7.
>I am getting the following error;
>
>aim.c:514: '__builtin_va_alist' undeclared (...
>
>I have looked in the supplied '*.h' files that came with the release and cannot find a
>declaration anywhere. Does anybody have any ideas?

 The definition '#define va_start __builtin_va_alist-something' etc.
are for the native Sun compiler, and are used in the native headers
'stdarg.h' and 'varargs.h'.

 GCC should try first its 'fixed' headers at :
   /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-solaris2.7/2.8.1/include
and if not found there, to try the unfixed native headers at:
   /usr/include
Your 'prefix' may be another than the default '/usr/local' (like
/opt/gnu ?), the target name may be other than 'sparc-solaris2.7',
so the directory names here are just examples...

 But as I found with gcc-2.95.2, it tries first the unfixed headers
and only after that the fixed and the GCC-specific ones... This is
just a serious bug. You can see if this is the case with gcc-2.8.1
by using the '-v' option in the GCC command line and looking at what
cpp says about the include directories and their use order...

 When using GCC we could expect the GCC-ones being the right ones and
renaming the Sun's 'stdarg.h', 'varargs.h', 'stddef.h' etc. as
'stdarg.h.sun' etc. could be a solution, then GCC doesn't find them
there....

 Another solution could be to add a
   -I/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-solaris2.7/2.8.1/include
into the CPP_SPEC (*cpp:) in the GCC 'specs'-file, which would
forge GCC to search its own headers first.

>Also could somebody give me a hint as what tools I need to read the
>documentation. There are a number of '*.info' files that came with
>the release.

 Don't know about any info-readers... An alternative could be to use
the 'industry standard' PDF or HTML formats for the GNU docs. Then you
could use the freely available Adobe Acrobat reader or your Netscape
etc. web browser to read the manuals. But then you had to download the
PDF-or HTML-format manuals first, if they weren't included with the
Solaris2-distribution (Funny if at least the 'texi2html' wasn't used
for the manuals, but only 'makeinfo')

 I don't know if anyone has put available just the plain GNU docs as
PDF-files, but many prebuilt GCC-distributions include them. At least
the Motorola 'GCC for M.CORE' and the European Space Agency, ESA,
'erc32' (embedded Sparc for space apps) GCC distributions include the
GNU docs as PDF-files. Here is the document list from the ESA-erc32
distribution ( ftp://ftp.estec.esa.nl/pub/ws/wsd/erc32/erc32ccs ) :

------------------ clip ----------------
2.6 Documentation

An extensive set of documentation for all tools can be found in doc
and man. The following documents are provided:

aarm.pdf Annotated Ada 95 Reference Manual
as.bdf Using as - the GNU assembler
bfd.pdf Libbfd - the binary file description
binutils.pdf The GNU binary utilities
cpp.pdf The C Preprocessor
ddd.pdf DDD - The Data Display Debugger
gcc.pdf Using and porting GCC
gdb.pdf Debugging with GDB
gnat_rm.pdf GNAT reference manual
gnat_ug.pdf GNAT UserÂ’s guide
ld.pdf Using ld - the GNU linker
mkprom.pdf Mkprom manual page
rtems_dev.pdf RTEMS Development environment guide
rtems_relnotes.pdf RTEMS Release notes
rtems_sparc.pdf RTEMS SPARC Applications supplement
rtems_user.pdf RTEMS C UserÂ’s manual (this is the one you want!)
sis.pdf SIS - SPARC instruction set simulator manual
sparcv7.pdf SPARC V7 Instruction set manual
------------------ clip ----------------

 The Motorola M.CORE-distribution is available at:
    http://www.mot.com/SPS/MCORE/tools_gnu.htm
The binary releases should include the docs in PDF-format.

 For the HTML-format docs you can start at 'www.gnu.org'...

Cheers, Kai

* Re: gcc on SOLARIS 7 ('__builtin_va_alist' and info files)
@ 1999-12-31 22:24   ` Kai Ruottu
From: Kai Ruottu @ 1999-12-31 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-12-31 22:24 ` Bryan Lovquist