* what is -rpath supposed to do?
@ 1999-12-09  2:33 Cegetel
From: Cegetel @ 1999-12-09  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Hi all,
I'm trying to build Apache 1.3.9 for my Linux box (Suse 6.2).
But there's a -rpath option used in the configuration file that seems not to
be known by gcc...
As you could expect, a path follows this option...

TIA
Ghislain

* Re: what is -rpath supposed to do?
@ 1999-12-09  4:30 ` nubis
From: nubis @ 1999-12-09  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999 10:59:17 +0100, Cegetel <Cegetel@Cegetel.com> wrote:
>Hi all,
>I'm trying to build Apache 1.3.9 for my Linux box (Suse 6.2).
>But there's a -rpath option used in the configuration file that seems not to
>be known by gcc...
>As you could expect, a path follows this option...

The -rpath option should given to the linker ld. It is the same as -L for gcc.
I rember compiling apache I had the same problem and changed all -rpath to -L
in the Makefiles. Maybe not the propper method to this, but worked for me.

cu

* Re: what is -rpath supposed to do?
@ 1999-12-09 16:32   ` David Wragg
From: David Wragg @ 1999-12-09 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

nubis@ban.osiris.home () writes:
> On Thu, 9 Dec 1999 10:59:17 +0100, Cegetel <Cegetel@Cegetel.com>
> wrote:
> >Hi all, I'm trying to build Apache 1.3.9 for my Linux box (Suse 6.2).
> >But there's a -rpath option used in the configuration file that seems
> >not to be known by gcc...  As you could expect, a path follows this
> >option...
>
> The -rpath option should given to the linker ld. It is the same as -L
> for gcc.  I rember compiling apache I had the same problem and changed
> all -rpath to -L in the Makefiles. Maybe not the propper method to
> this, but worked for me.

-rpath is certainly not the same as -L. They have very different
purposes; see the ld info pages for what -rpath really does.

gcc does not understand -rpath, because it is a linker option. It
seems strange that apache would be passing this to gcc. The fix is to
tell gcc that the -rpath option should be passed on to the linker,
with -Wl,-rpath,<arg>

David Wragg

* Re: what is -rpath supposed to do?
@ 1999-12-10  0:27     ` Stuart Summerville
From: Stuart Summerville @ 1999-12-10  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

>gcc does not understand -rpath, because it is a linker option. It
>seems strange that apache would be passing this to gcc. The fix is to
>tell gcc that the -rpath option should be passed on to the linker,
>with -Wl,-rpath,<arg>

I've used the following switches on gcc to do this:

 -Xlinker -rpath -Xlinker <path>

sTu.

Stuart Summerville                     NEC Australia Pty. Ltd.
ph: (+61 3) 9264-3090                  Integrated Comm Products (R&D)
fax:(+61 3) 9264-3841                  649-655 Springvale Road Mulgrave
stuarts@<nospam>icpdd.neca.nec.com.au  VIC 3170, AUSTRALIA

* Re: what is -rpath supposed to do?
@ 1999-12-31 22:24     ` David Wragg
From: David Wragg @ 1999-12-31 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)