* Can't link ddd under x86
@ 1999-12-14 16:11 Stephen Rasku
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Stephen Rasku @ 1999-12-14 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

I am trying to compile ddd 3.1.6 on Solaris 7 (x86).  At link time, I
get the following error:

ld: fatal: file /dev/zero: cannot mmap file: Resource temporarily
unavailable

I am using gcc 2.8.1 and I had no problems compiling on Sparc using the
same version of the compiler.  Any idea as how to fix this?

...Stephen

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Can't link ddd under x86
@ 1999-12-14 17:32 ` Nicholas Dronen
From: Nicholas Dronen @ 1999-12-14 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Stephen Rasku (stephen@tgivan.com) wrote:
: I am trying to compile ddd 3.1.6 on Solaris 7 (x86).  At link time, I
: get the following error:

: ld: fatal: file /dev/zero: cannot mmap file: Resource temporarily
: unavailable

: I am using gcc 2.8.1 and I had no problems compiling on Sparc using the
: same version of the compiler.  Any idea as how to fix this?

From /usr/include/sys/errno.h.

#define EAGAIN  11  /* Resource temporarily unavailable */

From the man page for mmap(2).

EAGAIN	The mapping could not be locked in memory.

	   	There was insufficient room to reserve swap  space
	    for the mapping.

	    The file to be  mapped  is  already  locked  using
	    advisory   or   mandatory   record   locking.  See
	    fcntl(2).

It looks like you're either running sorely short of
memory (unless this documentation is out of date
with respect to Solaris's paging algorithms) or
someone else has locked the file.

Regards,

Nicholas

* Re: Can't link ddd under x86
@ 1999-12-15  2:53 ` achetroi
From: achetroi @ 1999-12-15  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

In article < 836lhv$u3e$1@nnrp1.deja.com >,
  Stephen Rasku <stephen@tgivan.com> wrote:
> I am trying to compile ddd 3.1.6 on Solaris 7 (x86).  At link time, I
> get the following error:
>
> ld: fatal: file /dev/zero: cannot mmap file: Resource temporarily
> unavailable
>
> I am using gcc 2.8.1 and I had no problems compiling on Sparc using
the
> same version of the compiler.  Any idea as how to fix this?

you are running out of swap space. Try adding more swap or recompile ddd
without -g option. (symbol table takes a lot of space)

@ 1999-12-17 11:53   ` Stephen Rasku
From: Stephen Rasku @ 1999-12-17 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

In article < 837r03$o1u$1@nnrp1.deja.com >,
  achetroi@my-deja.com wrote:

> you are running out of swap space. Try adding more swap or recompile
ddd
> without -g option. (symbol table takes a lot of space)

I removed the -g option from the Makefile.  That worked.  Thanks a lot.

@ 1999-12-31 22:24   ` achetroi
From: achetroi @ 1999-12-31 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-12-31 22:24   ` Nicholas Dronen
From: Nicholas Dronen @ 1999-12-31 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Stephen Rasku (stephen@tgivan.com) wrote:
: I am trying to compile ddd 3.1.6 on Solaris 7 (x86).  At link time, I
: get the following error:

: ld: fatal: file /dev/zero: cannot mmap file: Resource temporarily
: unavailable

: I am using gcc 2.8.1 and I had no problems compiling on Sparc using the
: same version of the compiler.  Any idea as how to fix this?

From /usr/include/sys/errno.h.

#define EAGAIN  11  /* Resource temporarily unavailable */

From the man page for mmap(2).

@ 1999-12-31 22:24 ` Stephen Rasku

From: Stephen Rasku @ 1999-12-31 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc