* problems with make
@ 1999-12-23  5:27 Adriano Holanda
From: Adriano Holanda @ 1999-12-23  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

My system is: Solaris 7 (SPARC)

I have installed binaries gcc in my machine, but some tasks it doesn't
make, like install some perl modules e some programs. So i decided install
the source gcc-2.95.2 and when I run make, this happened:

//final of the make output

  /usr/local/gcc-2.95.2/libiberty/vfork.c -o pic/vfork.o
gcc -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2 -I.
-I/usr/local/gcc-2.95.2/libiberty/../include
/usr/local/gcc-2.95.2/libiberty/vfork.c
rm -f libiberty.a
ar rc libiberty.a \
  argv.o choose-temp.o concat.o cplus-dem.o fdmatch.o fnmatch.o getopt.o
getopt1.o getruntime.o hex.o floatformat.o objalloc.o obstack.o pexecute.o
spaces.o splay-tree.o strerror.o strsignal.o xatexit.o xexit.o xmalloc.o
xstrdup.o xstrerror.o  asprintf.o mkstemps.o setenv.o sigsetmask.o
vasprintf.o vfork.o
make[1]: ar: Command not found
make[1]: *** [libiberty.a] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gcc-2.95.2/obj/libiberty'
make: *** [all-libiberty] Error 2

How can I install gcc 2.95.2 source without this error?

Thanks,

Adriano.

* problems with make
@ 1999-12-31 22:24 ` Adriano Holanda
From: Adriano Holanda @ 1999-12-31 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

[...]

* Re: problems with make...
       [not found] <420931cd.73b89a7f.78a5.30baSMTPIN_ADDED@mx.gmail.com>
@ 2005-02-09  9:11 ` corey taylor
From: corey taylor @ 2005-02-09  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jupp Tscheak; +Cc: gcc-help

Jupp,

  For what behavior are you looking?

corey

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 22:40:45 +0100, Jupp Tscheak <jupp_tscheak@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we're building our project with automatic generated Makefiles (using qt's
> .pro files, although
> some modules have nothing to do with qt!). The problem is that if a static
> linked library has changed,
> it says "nothing to be done for..." (binary file is older than static lib so
> it should be relinked).
> Does anyone know how to avoid this behavior (any flags for g++)?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Jupp Tscheak

* problems with make...
@ 2005-02-09  1:46 Jupp Tscheak

From: Jupp Tscheak @ 2005-02-09  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

we're building our project with automatic generated Makefiles (using qt's
.pro files, although
some modules have nothing to do with qt!). The problem is that if a static
linked library has changed,
it says "nothing to be done for..." (binary file is older than static lib so
it should be relinked).
Does anyone know how to avoid this behavior (any flags for g++)?

Thanks in advance

Jupp Tscheak

* RE: Problems with make
       [not found] <616BE6A276E3714788D2AC35C40CD18D393F99@whale.softwire.co.uk>
@ 2002-01-28  4:28 ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2002-01-28  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Momchil Velikov'; +Cc: kabir.patel, gcc-help

:
> Rupert> You need to tell make what you'd like it to build. If you
> Rupert> don't specify anything then it assumes a target 'all' which
> Rupert> doesn't exist in your makefile.
>
> Actually it picks up the first target, no need for ``all''.
>
> The problem is that there's no dependency upon the Makefile itself.

Oops, yes, I stand corrected; answered from memory without checking
docs. I also hadn't noticed that he was running 'make makefile' instead
of plain 'make'.

Kabir, if you want to specify the makefile to use then you should type
'make -f <makefile name>'. It will automatically search a number of
filenames to use as the makefile including 'makefile' and 'Makefile' if
you don't specify -f.

Rup.

* Re: Problems with make
@ 2002-01-28  4:16   ` Momchil Velikov
From: Momchil Velikov @ 2002-01-28  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rupert Wood; +Cc: kabir.patel, gcc-help

Rupert> Kabir Patel wrote:
>> The makefile has the following :
>>
>> ex2: ex1.c
>> gcc ex1.c -o ex2
>>
>> and nothing else.
>> When I run >>make makefile
>> I always get the same message, namely:
>>
>> make: Nothing to be done for `makefile'.

Rupert> You need to tell make what you'd like it to build. If you don't specify
Rupert> anything then it assumes a target 'all' which doesn't exist in your
Rupert> makefile.

       [not found] <616BE6A276E3714788D2AC35C40CD18D393F88@whale.softwire.co.uk>
@ 2002-01-28  3:41 ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2002-01-28  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kabir.patel; +Cc: gcc-help

Kabir Patel wrote:

> The makefile has the following :
>
> ex2: ex1.c
>         gcc ex1.c -o ex2
>
> and nothing else.
> When I run >>make makefile
> I always get the same message, namely:
>
> make: Nothing to be done for `makefile'.

You need to tell make what you'd like it to build. If you don't specify
anything then it assumes a target 'all' which doesn't exist in your
makefile.

You either need to:

    make ex2

or add an 'all' target to the makefile which references ex2, e.g.

    ex2: ex1.c
            gcc ex1.c -o ex2

    all: ex2

You may wish to investigate the GNU automake project which simplifies
generation of complex makefiles.

Rup.

* Problems with make
@ 2002-01-28  3:31 kabir.patel
From: kabir.patel @ 2002-01-28  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: me; +Cc: gcc-help

Dear all,

I am trying to use a makfile to compile a simple piece of C.

The makefile has the following :

ex2: ex1.c
        gcc ex1.c -o ex2

and nothing else.

When I run >>make makefile

I always get the same message, namely:

make: Nothing to be done for `makefile'.

This occurs even when I edit the file, or use additional options such as -W, or
when I use 'touch'.

When I run the command manually (gcc ex1.c -o ex2) it compiles fine.

Could somebody please tell me why this might be the case?

Thanks

Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message.  If you
the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.
In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by
reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent
to Internet email for messages of this kind.  Opinions, conclusions and other
information in this message that do not relate to the official business of my
firm shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.