* c_compiler
@ 2000-02-05 23:39 Ben Michie
From: Ben Michie @ 2000-02-05 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi gcc ppls,

I was attempting to install the latest gcc package
from suse (v6.3) and I came across a peculiar error, it was something along the
lines of "can't find c_compiler" or "gcc needs c_compiler". Does any1 know what
this means or have any suggestions that I could try doing.

Many thanks, Ben Michie

* c_compiler
@ 2000-04-01  0:00 ` Ben Michie
From: Ben Michie @ 2000-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi gcc ppls,

I was attempting to install the latest gcc package
from suse (v6.3) and I came across a peculiar error, it was something along the
lines of "can't find c_compiler" or "gcc needs c_compiler". Does any1 know what
this means or have any suggestions that I could try doing.

Many thanks, Ben Michie

* Re: C++ Compiler
@ 2018-04-13 21:45     ` Roy Ware via gcc-help
From: Roy Ware via gcc-help @ 2018-04-13 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Glisse; +Cc: gcc-help

Perfect!  That's what I get for reading the book instead of the file descriptions!
Roy Ware

    On Friday, April 13, 2018, 2:35:36 PM PDT, Marc Glisse <marc.glisse@inria.fr> wrote:

 On Fri, 13 Apr 2018, Roy Ware via gcc-help wrote:

> I am a mainframe programmer wanting to learn C++.  I downloaded CodeBlock and need a compiler to make it work.  All searches keep coming back to you and even after studying and trying your site for 3 hours, I cannot figure out how to get a compiler.
> I'n on a Windows 10 PC and need a C++ 14 or 17 (17 would be better) compiler.  DO you have a link directly t the download and simple instructions on how to install it?  Remember - a mainframe programmer with very limited PC development!

Hello,

if you take a closer look at the codeblocks download webpage, it offers 2
versions of the download, with or without a compiler...

If you want to install the compiler separately (probably a bit more
complicated), head over to https://mingw-w64.org/doku.php .

--
Marc Glisse

* Re: C++ Compiler
@ 2018-04-13 21:35   ` Marc Glisse
From: Marc Glisse @ 2018-04-13 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roy Ware; +Cc: gcc-help

@ 2018-04-13 21:35   ` Martin Sebor
From: Martin Sebor @ 2018-04-13 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roy Ware, gcc-help

On 04/13/2018 03:20 PM, Roy Ware via gcc-help wrote:
> I am a mainframe programmer wanting to learn C++.  I downloaded CodeBlock and need a compiler to make it work.  All searches keep coming back to you and even after studying and trying your site for 3 hours, I cannot figure out how to get a compiler.
> I'n on a Windows 10 PC and need a C++ 14 or 17 (17 would be better) compiler.  DO you have a link directly t the download and simple instructions on how to install it?  Remember - a mainframe programmer with very limited PC development!
> Roy Ware

Except on Linux where distributions provide pre-built binaries
the usual way to get GCC is to build it from sources.  Binaries
for some systems can be downloaded from a few unofficial places:

https://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html

On Windows, installing Cygwin or MinGW will get you GCC as well.

Martin

* Re: C++ Compiler
@ 2018-04-13 21:35   ` Andrew Bell
From: Andrew Bell @ 2018-04-13 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roy Ware; +Cc: gcc-help

This isn't really the proper forum for this kind of question -- it's for
questions regarding the operation of the compiler itself.

If you're wanting to learn C++ on Windows 10, you can get a free version of
VisualStudio from Microsoft.  That might be easiest for you.

See: https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/community/

This will take less setup than gcc.  If you want to try to use gcc on
Windows, you might want to look here:

http://www.mingw.org/

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 5:20 PM, Roy Ware via gcc-help <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org

--
Andrew Bell
andrew.bell.ia@gmail.com

* C++ Compiler
       [not found] <815189974.291369.1523654409630.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2018-04-13 21:20 ` Roy Ware via gcc-help
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Roy Ware via gcc-help @ 2018-04-13 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I am a mainframe programmer wanting to learn C++.  I downloaded CodeBlock and need a compiler to make it work.  All searches keep coming back to you and even after studying and trying your site for 3 hours, I cannot figure out how to get a compiler.
I'n on a Windows 10 PC and need a C++ 14 or 17 (17 would be better) compiler.  DO you have a link directly t the download and simple instructions on how to install it?  Remember - a mainframe programmer with very limited PC development!
Roy Ware

* Re: C compiler
@ 2014-10-20 12:42 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2014-10-20 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BASAVARAJ L KAGE; +Cc: gcc-help

On 19 October 2014 15:28, BASAVARAJ L KAGE wrote:
> Is GCC c compiler is available for free ? if so, from where i can down load. my machine is MacBook Air can i down load and use . please let me know

As it says at https://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html the GCC
project does not provide binaries for download.

You can download the sources and compile them yourself, or use a
packaging tool like MacPorts of Brew to install GCC on your Mac. The
details of how to do that are specific to Mac computers and so this is
not the best place to ask.

* C compiler
@ 2014-10-19 14:28 BASAVARAJ L KAGE
From: BASAVARAJ L KAGE @ 2014-10-19 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Is GCC c compiler is available for free ? if so, from where i can down load. my machine is MacBook Air can i down load and use . please let me know
thanks,
Kage

* Re: C++ Compiler
@ 2013-04-30  9:06 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2013-04-30  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scarlbc; +Cc: gcc-help

On 30 April 2013 03:31, Scarlbc wrote:
> Hi
> I need a free download to teach a child.

GCC runs on many different operating systems and processors, which are
you using?

The GCC project does not provide binaries to download, but you can get
them from many other sources. See
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/InstallingGCC for information on installing
GCC.

* C++ Compiler
@ 2013-04-30  2:31 Scarlbc
From: Scarlbc @ 2013-04-30  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi
I need a free download to teach a child.

Sent from Bazil iPhone

* Re: C compiler
@ 2011-03-13 14:47 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2011-03-13 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rohit Rehan; +Cc: gcc-help

On 13 March 2011 14:42, Rohit Rehan wrote:
> Sir,
> How com the compiler of c is written in C. I mean first we need to compile
> the source to get object but if we don't have a compiler to compile C source
> how can we write a compiler in C. I am totally confused please help me.

Yes, you need a C compiler to build GCC from source:
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html

This is a common technique, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootstrapping_(compilers)

Most operating systems either have pre-built versions of GCC available
or provide another C compiler which can be used to compile GC.

* C compiler
@ 2011-03-13 14:43 Rohit Rehan
From: Rohit Rehan @ 2011-03-13 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Sir,
How com the compiler of c is written in C. I mean first we need to compile
the source to get object but if we don't have a compiler to compile C source
how can we write a compiler in C. I am totally confused please help me.

Yours Faithfully
Rohit Rehan

* Re: C compiler
@ 2007-01-15 10:06 ` Hugh Sasse
From: Hugh Sasse @ 2007-01-15 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Berg, Michelle D.; +Cc: gcc-help

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007, Berg, Michelle D. wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> How do I determine if I have the C compiler install on my Solaris 8 system?

Solaris doesn't come with a working C compiler as far as GCC is concerned
unless you have the Sun Workshop or Forte compilers as well.  You will
probably find it most easily by `man CC` (looking for the C++ compiler.)
The find command will tell you where these are on your system.

To get a working C compiler you can look at http://www.sunfreeware.com/

> When I have tried to run ./configure, I have received the following error
> messages:
> ./configure: make: not found

You should have make
make: /usr/ccs/bin/make

but you will need GNU make anyway.  You don't need a make to build GNU
make.

> ./configure: not found

It sounds like not enough places are on your PATH.

> Please help me determine if I have a C/GCC compiler.
>
> thanks
> Mtrueblood

        HTH
        Hugh

* C compiler
@ 2007-01-13 19:32 Berg, Michelle D.
From: Berg, Michelle D. @ 2007-01-13 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Greetings,

How do I determine if I have the C compiler install on my Solaris 8 system?
When I have tried to run ./configure, I have received the following error
messages:
./configure: make: not found
./configure: not found

Please help me determine if I have a C/GCC compiler.

thanks
Mtrueblood

* Re: c++ compiler
@ 2005-07-25 17:46 ` corey taylor
From: corey taylor @ 2005-07-25 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niels Jende; +Cc: gcc-help

Neils,

  Which distribution would you like to install gcc on?

corey

On 7/25/05, Niels Jende <niels_jende@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Hi Mates!
>
> I am trying to download your C++ compiler,
> unfortunately I hadn`t had any success so far!
> Maybe I am stiil heaps to much with them folks from
> redmond, but anyway...do I really have to download
> every single file on your mirror pages???I mean I do
> see the folders and all that, but once I click them
> they just open and I do see all these beautiful files
> and I am, as said, wondering if i have to download
> each file manually!You haven`t got something similar
> to a simple download button on these mirrors, have
> you?
>
> However, if I have to download all these files
> manually, well, then I have to, but it would be just
> handy if I wouldnt have to do it that way!
>
> Thanks
> Niels

> Try Yahoo! Photomail Beta: Send up to 300 photos in one email!
> http://au.photomail.mail.yahoo.com

* c++ compiler
@ 2005-07-25 17:44 Niels Jende
From: Niels Jende @ 2005-07-25 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

@ 2002-08-01 20:50 Dockeen
From: Dockeen @ 2002-08-01 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

A good general source of information on free programming
tools/compilers/etc.

http://www.thefreecountry.com/developercity/

Wayne

* Re: c++ compiler
@ 2002-08-01 18:00   ` Oscar Fuentes
From: Oscar Fuentes @ 2002-08-01 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: p

Simon Brügmann <p@simon-bruegmann.de> writes:

> Hello dear friends of gnu,
>
> to be honest: I'm afraid I don't understand your homepage. I'm
> looking for a free Win98 c++ compiler. Do you have that? I'd be very
> glad, if you'd help me, since I'm looking for very long time to get
> one. Just post me the link!

http://www.mingw.org

Download the latest package (MinGW-1.1.tar.gz) from

Oscar

* c++ compiler
       [not found] <200208012209.AAA06454@mailin.webmailer.de>
@ 2002-08-01 16:00 ` Simon Brügmann
From: Simon Brügmann @ 2002-08-01 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello dear friends of gnu,

to be honest: I'm afraid I don't understand your homepage. I'm looking for a
free Win98 c++ compiler. Do you have that? I'd be very glad, if you'd help
me, since I'm looking for very long time to get one. Just
post me the link!

Thanx, best regards,

Simon

* c compiler
@ 2000-07-13 15:52 Edward Lartey
From: Edward Lartey @ 2000-07-13 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I was trying to install a g77 compiler on my redhat linux with gcc. Infact
I was using the quickstart installation procedure. Unfortunately this has
crashed my c compiler. I get this message whenever I try to compile a c
program:

[lartey@hepr0 ~]$ gcc -c test.c
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Can you help