* GCC 2.95 and Solaris 2.7 (using GCC 2.72 built on solaris 2.5) problem
@ 2000-02-18 15:37 holme
From: holme @ 2000-02-18 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu

GCC guru:

Last week I was having problems installing gcc2.95 on my solaris 2.7 release.
After many hours of effort, I found out that the gcc.2.7.2 include files built using
a previous relaease of Solaris (2.5) were the real problem. These include files did
not contain new information that had been added and the mixture invoked by the build
was incompatible.

So, I renamed the include directory and made an empty one for the gcc compiler's
override includes. Things were somewhat better - I got farther. Then I got the below
error - after some more brain-storming, I found out that I was compiling as
ANSI_PROTOTYPES which should be fine and I was including varargs.h not stdargs.h.
However I am not baffled - I think I see `__builtin_va_alist' being defined, but
am not sure.

I have gone back and re-configured without the gcc include dir in place to no avail.
I have gone back to 2.7.2 and tried to recompile. The results are the same.

I have reviewed the install notes and errata - I see nothing alluding to my doing
anything wrong. I do NOT have a cc compiler, only the gcc.2.7.2 I made with solaris
2.5 on a classic (this is an ultra sparc - 64 bit machine).

So two questions:

  1) Was I right to rename (and make a new empty) gcc include directory before installing?
		(if so, consider adding to the release notes)

	/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.5/2.7.2.2/include

  2) Why am I having a problem with varargs.h? - I would assume that a Solaris 2.7
     GCC 2.95 must have been built by someone by now.

Thanking you in advance for your help.

ray a holme (rah)

* Re: GCC 2.95 and Solaris 2.7 (using GCC 2.72 built on solaris 2.5) problem
@ 2000-02-18 16:37 ` Martin v. Loewis
From: Martin v. Loewis @ 2000-02-18 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: holme; +Cc: gnu, help-gcc

>   1) Was I right to rename (and make a new empty) gcc include
>   directory before installing?

No. gcc produces those at installation time for a purpose, namely, to
fix known errors in the system header files. This means you cannot
lightly move a gcc installation from one operating system to another -
even if they are relatively similar, such as Solaris 2.5 and Solaris
7. In theory, re-running 'fixincludes' might help, but that is only an
option for experts.

>   2) Why am I having a problem with varargs.h?

I don't know. From your message it was not clear what *exactly* the
error message was you where getting, or what commands had been
producing it.

I recommend that you install a binary version of gcc 2.95.2 on your
system instead; follow the binaries link at the gcc.gnu.org.

Regards,
Martin

* Re: GCC 2.95 and Solaris 2.7 (using GCC 2.72 built on solaris 2.5) problem
@ 2000-04-01  0:00   ` Martin v. Loewis
From: Martin v. Loewis @ 2000-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: holme; +Cc: gnu, help-gcc

@ 2000-04-01  0:00 ` holme