* Re: Converting aout objs to elf??
@ 2000-03-09 18:16 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2000-03-09 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, rseguin; +Cc: gcc-help

> From: Ralph Seguin <rseguin@rsv.ricoh.com>
> To: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 11:35:04 -0800
> Cc: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org

> We have a library from a vendor that is compiled aout and we are
> using ELF everywhere else.  We do not have source to and CANNOT get
> them to provide an ELF version.

Dump em, it'll save you some time and pain.

> I seem to remember seeing something a long time ago about converting
> aout object files to ELF.

> Is there an easy means of converting a library of AOUT objects into
> a (shared) ELF library?

Sure, just pull out objcopy, and extend it to handle the relocs on
your platform well, and presto, no problem.  Well, you might need to
have ld remap the syms for you, byt other than that, it should just
work.

* Re: Converting aout objs to elf??
@ 2000-03-09 23:57 ` Philip Blundell
From: Philip Blundell @ 2000-03-09 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stump; +Cc: gcc, rseguin, gcc-help

>> Is there an easy means of converting a library of AOUT objects into
>> a (shared) ELF library?
>
>Sure, just pull out objcopy, and extend it to handle the relocs on
>your platform well, and presto, no problem.  Well, you might need to
>have ld remap the syms for you, byt other than that, it should just
>work.

Objcopy can handle simple cases of symbol munging already, via
--remove-leading-char and so on.  For a.out -> ELF this may be all you need.

p.

* Re: Converting aout objs to elf??
@ 2000-04-01  0:00 ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2000-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, rseguin; +Cc: gcc-help

@ 2000-04-01  0:00   ` Philip Blundell
From: Philip Blundell @ 2000-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stump; +Cc: gcc, rseguin, gcc-help

>> Is there an easy means of converting a library of AOUT objects into
>> a (shared) ELF library?
>
>Sure, just pull out objcopy, and extend it to handle the relocs on
>your platform well, and presto, no problem.  Well, you might need to
>have ld remap the syms for you, byt other than that, it should just
>work.

Objcopy can handle simple cases of symbol munging already, via
--remove-leading-char and so on.  For a.out -> ELF this may be all you need.

p.

* Converting aout objs to elf??
@ 2000-04-01  0:00 ` Ralph Seguin
From: Ralph Seguin @ 2000-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi.
We have a  library from a vendor that is compiled aout and we are using ELF
everywhere else.  We do not have source to and CANNOT get them to provide an
ELF version.

I seem to remember seeing something a long time ago about converting aout
object files to ELF.

Is there an easy means of converting a library of AOUT objects into a (shared)
ELF library?

What if the library was built aout on FreeBSD 2.2.8, but we are now up to
3.3-RELEASE?

What other sorts of issues are we going to run into?

Thanks.
-Ralph
rseguin@rsv.ricoh.com

* Converting aout objs to elf??