* Re: compiling a gcc2.9.5
@ 2000-05-10 16:19 juan uribe
From: juan uribe @ 2000-05-10 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ja_uribe, help-gcc

my apologies I did not provide the following info
version compiling with: 2.91.66
version compiled(attempted anyways): 2.95.2
system specs: linuxkernel 2.2.12-20 on 400mhz

>today after doing
>
>make bootstrap-lean
>

>I recieved the following errors.
>Assembler messages:
>Error: Can't open /tmp/ccxgyxWd.s for reading
>make[2] ***[stor-layout.o] Error 1
>make[2]Leaving directory '/foo'
>make[1]***[bootstrap-lean] Error 2
>
>please  keep in mind I compiled as root
>I checked my /tmp dir and did not find ccxgyxWd.s where should I get it?
>can I   proceed with install?

* Re: compiling a gcc2.9.5
@ 2000-05-10 16:17 ` llewelly
From: llewelly @ 2000-05-10 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: juan uribe; +Cc: help-gcc

On Wed, 10 May 2000, juan uribe wrote:

> today after doing
>
> make bootstrap-lean
>

> I recieved the following errors.
> Assembler messages:
> Error: Can't open /tmp/ccxgyxWd.s for reading
> make[2] ***[stor-layout.o] Error 1
> make[2]Leaving directory '/foo'
> make[1]***[bootstrap-lean] Error 2
>
> please  keep in mind I compiled as root
> I checked my /tmp dir and did not find ccxgyxWd.s where should I get it?
> can I   proceed with install?

This is usually a symptom of insufficient space.

Use df(1) to check how much space you have. I seem to recall that about
  250M of space is needed to bootstrap the full 2.95.2 distribution.
  'make bootstrap-lean' will reduce this substantially (I do not recall
  by how much), as will using --enable-languages to specify only the
  langauges you will need.

[snip]

* Re: compiling a gcc2.9.5
@ 2000-05-10 16:09 juan uribe
From: juan uribe @ 2000-05-10 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 2000-05-10  1:18 ` llewelly
From: llewelly @ 2000-05-10  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: juan uribe; +Cc: help-gcc

On Tue, 9 May 2000, juan uribe wrote:

> >From: "juan uribe" <ja_uribe@hotmail.com>
> >To: ja_uribe@hotmail.com
> >Subject: Re: compiling a gcc2.9.5
> >Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 23:29:01 PDT
> >
> >I want to double check this with someone before I do anything.
> >
> >the following is qouted from the gcc.gnu.org/install page
> >"Second, when configuring a native system, either "cc" or "gcc" must be in
> >your path or you must set CC in your environment before running configure.
> >Otherwise the configuration scripts may fail. "
> >what would be my path and/or environment?
> >
> >"To configure GCC:
> >

> >    % mkdir objdir
> >    % cd objdir
> >    % srcdir/configure [target] [options]
> >target specification "
> >I think I understand this . objdir is the destination of any binaries I
> >compile, right.

Correct.

> srcdir is where the source of gcc 2.95.2 to be compiled is.

Correct.

> >under options i don't think I have gas or gld are they absolutely
> >neccessary.

gas and ld are necessary on linux.

If I remember redhat installation correctly, you get gas, ld, and the rest
  of binutils when you chose to install egcs-1.1.2 (aka 2.91.66) .

I believe configure will tell you if you do not have an assembler (like
  gas) or a linker (like ld) .

> I am running linux kernel 2.2.12-20 on red hat How can I check
> >that to make sure?

I am not sure what you are asking here, but I will guess the answer is in

uname -a

[snip]

* Re: compiling a gcc2.9.5
@ 2000-05-10  0:07 ` llewelly
From: llewelly @ 2000-05-10  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: juan uribe; +Cc: gcc-help

On Tue, 9 May 2000, juan uribe wrote:

> >On Tue, 9 May 2000, juan uribe wrote:
> >
> > > I am going to compile from source 2.91.66 are there any issues I should
> >look
> > > for ?
>
> >I would suggest you use 2.95.2 instead, unless you need to link your code
> >   with c++ libs built with 2.91.66 .
> doooooh!.
> I meant I will compile 2.95.2 using 2.91.66 but there should not be a
> problem, i hope

Sorry about that. Compiling gcc-2.95.2 with 2.91.66 works fine. I have
  done it myself, several times.

[snip]

* Re: compiling a gcc2.9.5
@ 2000-05-09 23:31 juan uribe
From: juan uribe @ 2000-05-09 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

>From: "juan uribe" <ja_uribe@hotmail.com>
>To: ja_uribe@hotmail.com
>Subject: Re: compiling a gcc2.9.5
>Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 23:29:01 PDT
>
>I want to double check this with someone before I do anything.
>
>the following is qouted from the gcc.gnu.org/install page
>"Second, when configuring a native system, either "cc" or "gcc" must be in
>your path or you must set CC in your environment before running configure.
>Otherwise the configuration scripts may fail. "
>what would be my path and/or environment?
>
>"To configure GCC:
>

>    % mkdir objdir
>    % cd objdir
>    % srcdir/configure [target] [options]
>target specification "
>I think I understand this . objdir is the destination of any binaries I
>compile, right. srcdir is where the source of gcc 2.95.2 to be compiled is.
>under options i don't think I have gas or gld are they absolutely
>neccessary. I am running linux kernel 2.2.12-20 on red hat How can I check
>that to make sure?

* Re: compiling a gcc2.9.5
@ 2000-05-09 22:32 juan uribe
From: juan uribe @ 2000-05-09 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

@ 2000-05-09 22:07 ` llewelly
From: llewelly @ 2000-05-09 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: juan uribe; +Cc: gcc-help

On Tue, 9 May 2000, juan uribe wrote:

> I am going to compile from source 2.91.66 are there any issues I should look
> for ?

I would suggest you use 2.95.2 instead, unless you need to link your code
  with c++ libs built with 2.91.66 .

> I will using it on a compaq presario with the following specs...amd k6-2
> 3Dnow 400mhz processor running redhat linux 6.1 kernel version 2.2.12-20.

See http://gcc.gnu.org/install .

I do not know of any caveats with this platform; I have been using gcc
  2.95.2 on redhat 6.1 x86-linux for months.

If you plan to do c++ development with 2.95.2, you will recompile the c++
  libs you develop with.

[snip]

* compiling a gcc2.9.5
@ 2000-05-09 21:57 juan uribe