* RE: <optimized out>
       [not found] <616BE6A276E3714788D2AC35C40CD18D7D2584@whale.softwire.co.uk>
@ 2002-09-02  5:38 ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2002-09-02  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Der Herr Hofrat'; +Cc: gcc-help

Der Herr Hofrat wrote:

> then gcc with -O2 seems to directly push 3 on the stack and call
> printf and never used a local variable so I can't access it in the
> debuger. Is there any simply way of preventing this other than doing
> stupid things like introducing some useless statements to force a
> local variable but without turning of -O2 for the entire file ???

Not sure why you'd want to do this unless you've got problems with the
optimized code; you could always debug at -O0.

However, declaring the variable a 'volatile' ought to do what you want.
One of the '-f' switches might prevent this optimization globally if
you'd prefer but at first glance I can't see which one it might be.

Rup.

* Re: <optimized out>
@ 2002-09-02  5:50   ` Der Herr Hofrat
From: Der Herr Hofrat @ 2002-09-02  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rupert Wood; +Cc: 'Der Herr Hofrat', gcc-help

> Der Herr Hofrat wrote:
>
> > then gcc with -O2 seems to directly push 3 on the stack and call
> > printf and never used a local variable so I can't access it in the
> > debuger. Is there any simply way of preventing this other than doing
> > stupid things like introducing some useless statements to force a
> > local variable but without turning of -O2 for the entire file ???
>
> Not sure why you'd want to do this unless you've got problems with the
> optimized code; you could always debug at -O0.
>
> However, declaring the variable a 'volatile' ought to do what you want.

yup - thanks  volatile int i;  did it.

thx !
hofrat

* <optimized out>
@ 2002-09-02  5:16 Der Herr Hofrat
From: Der Herr Hofrat @ 2002-09-02  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

HI !

how can I prevent GCC from optimizing away a specific variable ?
lets say I have something trivial like

 int i;
 i=3;
 printf("%d\n",i);