* Re: Extremely long compile times
       [not found] <200210181219.g9ICJ9Y01412@gatekeeper.tait.co.nz>
@ 2002-10-20 13:13 ` John Carter
From: John Carter @ 2002-10-20 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles; +Cc: gcc-help

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Charles wrote:

> I've tried this with both gcc 3.1.1 and gcc 3.2.  This particular program
> takes over 2 hours to compile.

Generally it helps to use the -pipe option. This stop it from using
temporary disk files and just pipes it from preprocessor to compiler to
assembler.

Optimization these days seems to be very cunning and take a _lot_ of time.
During development add the -O0 flag. Compiles a lot faster and easier to
debug.

Experiment with the -f optimization flags. Perhaps there is just one
optimization that is really chewing up the time.

> According to -time, 100% of the time is
> spent in "cfg cleanup".  The program is generated by a language converter
> we are working on and contains only a "main" function with a very large
> number of local variables and initializing of arrays one element at a time.

It could be that gcc is doing a linear search somewhere under the
expectation that there aren't a huge number of local variables. Can you
try break it up into smaller compilation units?

> Does anyone know what could be causing this and/or what we could look for
> to correct it?

Try pull the sources for gcc out and compile them with profiling on (-pg)
and then see if there are any hot spots.

PO Box 1645 Christchurch                Email : john.carter@tait.co.nz
New Zealand

Good Ideas:
Ruby                 - http://www.ruby-lang-org - The best of perl,python,scheme without the pain.
Valgrind             - http://developer.kde.org/~sewardj/ - memory debugger for x86-GNU/Linux
Free your books      - http://www.bookcrossing.com

* Re[2]: Extremely long compile times
@ 2002-10-21 13:40   ` Charles
From: Charles @ 2002-10-21 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Carter; +Cc: gcc-help

Thanks, much, John.

Moving the variables outside of "main" fixed the problem.

Thanks again.
Charles

From: Charles @ 2002-10-21 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Carter; +Cc: gcc-help