* Problem Building Stage 3 / AIX 5.1, Visual Age C 5.0.2
@ 2002-10-16 15:17 cjs 2895
From: cjs 2895 @ 2002-10-16 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Folks,

I'm trying to build GCC 3.2 under AIX 5.1 with Visual Age C 5.0.2.0 as the
bootstrap compiler.

I've managed to get the first two stages of of GCC to build successfully
(I'm using GNU as and ld, and I had to make a couple typecasts in tradcif.y)
but when I get to stage 3 I'm getting stuck in the configure scripts -- each
item that causes configure to run the compiler takes ~2 minutes to complete.
At this speed it will take ~12 hours for configure to complete before the
stage 3 build starts. Its almost as if when the stage 2 compiler is invoked,
it sleeps for two minutes before executing -- but If I invoke the stage 2
compiler directly I can not reprproduce this behavior. Can anyone think of
what could possibly be causing this? Please reply in private and I'll post a
summary at a later date. The steps I've used to get to this point are as
follows:

wget -nd -nH -c -t 0 -w 1 http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-3.2/gcc-3.2.tar.gz
wget -nd -nH -c -t 0 -w 1
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/binutils/binutils-2.13.tar.bz2
gtar -xvzf gcc-3.2.tar.gz
gtar --use-compress-program=bunzip2 -xvf binutils-2.13.tar.bz2
cd gcc-3.2
ln -s ../binutils-2.13 binutils
CC=cc ./configure --enable-languages=c,c++ --disable-nls --with-gnu-as
--with-gnu-ld --with-gnu-nm
gmake bootstrap

Get faster connections -- switch to MSN Internet Access!