* Linker ignores library path
@ 2003-03-11 12:14 Markus Gerwinski
From: Markus Gerwinski @ 2003-03-11 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello,

I've got a little problem with libtool: It insists in looking for
libmysqlclient.la in /usr/lib/mysql, but the file is really in
/usr/local/lib/mysql. I tell this to the linker, too, via
-L/usr/local/lib/mysql, but it seems to ignore it.

I've set up my make scripts using automake, autoconf etc., and set the cflags
and libs calling "mysql-config --cflags" resp. "--libs" in the configure.ac.
All that stuff seems to run fine: When I call `make', I see the correct
commands, including the -L'/usr/local/lib/mysql' option and so on. But the
linker exits with the error message:

grep: /usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.la: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.la: No such file or directory
libtool: link: `/usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.la' is not a valid libtool archive
make[2]: *** [libmagecape.la] Fehler 1

Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

  Markus

* Linker ignores library path
@ 2003-03-11 12:59 ` Markus Gerwinski
From: Markus Gerwinski @ 2003-03-11 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

[...]

* RE: Linker ignores library path
@ 2003-03-11 14:05 ` Kartik Jayaraman
From: Kartik Jayaraman @ 2003-03-11 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Gerwinski, gcc-help

Hi Markus,

>>grep: /usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.la: No such file or directory

	Probably the make file is "grep"ing for the .la file in /usr/lib/mysql. I
guess by changing the makefile to grep for the .la in /usr/local/lib/mysql,
should fix this.

	Hope this helps.

-Kartik

* Re: Linker ignores library path
@ 2003-03-11 15:57   ` Markus Gerwinski
From: Markus Gerwinski @ 2003-03-11 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kartik Jayaraman; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi Kartik,

> >>grep: /usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.la: No such file or directory
> 	Probably the make file is "grep"ing for the .la file in /usr/lib/mysql. I
> guess by changing the makefile to grep for the .la in /usr/local/lib/mysql,
> should fix this.

What must I change in the configure.ac or Makefile.am to get a Makefile with
the correct "grep" path?

Thanks,

  Markus

* g++ sometimes doesn't find its standard headers (was: Linker ignores library path)
@ 2003-03-12 16:31   ` Markus Gerwinski
From: Markus Gerwinski @ 2003-03-12 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kartik Jayaraman; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi folks,

Kartik Jayaraman wrote:
> 	Probably the make file is "grep"ing for the .la file in /usr/lib/mysql. I
> guess by changing the makefile to grep for the .la in /usr/local/lib/mysql,
> should fix this.

I finally found the source of the problem: It's in the `dependency_libs' of my
.la file. Seemingly it has taken them from the libsqlplus.la, which already
contains the wrong path, too.

I tried to fix it by re-compiling mysql++ (I'm currently using a binary
distribution), but ran into a build problem I already encountered a few times:
g++ doesn't find some of its own standard header files; in this case,
stdexcept.

I already had the same problem with ext/hash_map. Funny enough, g++ _does_ find
the (deprecated) backward/hash_map.h, which is placed in the same path.

Is this a known problem in g++? Can someone give me a hint how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

  Markus