* gcc installation on Solaris8
@ 2003-09-02 16:16 Harrison, Randy
From: Harrison, Randy  @ 2003-09-02 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org'

I am currently attempting to install gcc on our Sun server which is running
Solaris8 and when I finally found what I believe is the correct package and
run the configure, I get the following message -

	The following packages are available:
	  1  SMCgcc     gcc
			    (sparc) 3.3

	Select pacages(s) you wish to process (or 'all' to process
	all packages). (defauld: all) [?,??,q]:

	Processing package instance <SMCgcc> from
</dnx/tmp/gcc-3.3.sol8-sparc-local>

	gcc
	(sparc) 3.3
	cpio: Cannot write "reloc/lib.libg2c.so.0.0.0", errno 28, No space
left on device
	cpio: Cannot write "reloc/lib.libgcc_so.1", errno 28, No space left
on device
	cpio: Cannot write "reloc/lib.libgcj.so.4.0.0", errno 28, No space
left on device
	cpio: Cannot write "reloc/lib.libiberty.a", errno 28, No space left
on device
	cpio: Cannot write "reloc/lib.libobjc.a", errno 28, No space left on
device
	cpio: Cannot write "reloc/lib.libstdc++.a", errno 28, No space left
on device
	cpio: Cannot write "reloc/lib.libstdc++.so.5.0.4", errno 28, No
space left on device
	cpio: Cannot write "reloc/lib.libsupc++.a", errno 28, No space left
on device
	cpio: Cannot write "reloc/lib/sparcv9/lib-org-w3c-dom.a", errno 28,
No space left on device
	cpio: Cannot write "reloc/lib/sparcv9/lib-org-w3c-dom.so.0.0.0",
errno 28, No space left on device
	cpio: Cannot write "reloc/lib/sparcv9/lib-org-xml-sax.a", errno 28,
No space left on device
	cpio: Cannot write "
	cpio:	pkgadd: ERROR: attempt to process datastream failed
	    - process </usr/bin/cpio - icdumD -C 512> failed, exit code 44
	pkgadd: ERROR: unable to unpack datastream

	Installation of <SMCgcc> failed (internal error).
	No changes were made to the system.

I am not very well versed in unix or sun and therefore am at a loss as to
what I should do.  I am assuming that the error tells me that there is not
ample room on the drive to install where the software it attempting to
install.  However, I am not familiar enough with this to know how to get the
software to install elsewhere on the drive.  I do have 2 other drives with
over 1 gig of space available, but my root directory and /usr directories
are at 86% usage.

Randy Harrison
Library Systems Analyst
IT/IS - City of Wichita
PH   - (316) 261-8504
Fax - (316) 219-6220
Email - rharrison@wichita.gov

* Re: gcc installation on Solaris8
@ 2003-09-02 20:28 ` Claudio Bley
From: Claudio Bley @ 2003-09-02 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org'

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 11:15:32AM -0500, Harrison, Randy  wrote:
> I am currently attempting to install gcc on our Sun server which is running
> Solaris8 and when I finally found what I believe is the correct package and
> run the configure, I get the following message -

> 	The following packages are available:
> 	  1  SMCgcc     gcc
> 			    (sparc) 3.3
>
> 	Select pacages(s) you wish to process (or 'all' to process
> 	all packages). (defauld: all) [?,??,q]:
>
> 	Processing package instance <SMCgcc> from
> </dnx/tmp/gcc-3.3.sol8-sparc-local>
>
> 	gcc
> 	(sparc) 3.3
> 	cpio: Cannot write "reloc/lib.libg2c.so.0.0.0", errno 28, No space
> left on device

[snip]

> I am not very well versed in unix or sun and therefore am at a loss as to
> what I should do.  I am assuming that the error tells me that there is not
> ample room on the drive to install where the software it attempting to
> install.

Indeed. If it says "No space left on device" it usually means "No
space left on device", literally. ;-)

> However, I am not familiar enough with this to know how to get the
> software to install elsewhere on the drive.

I would suppose this is not possible. But this is entirely dependend
on the package format and software you're using. You should ask about
that in a Solaris forum / mailing list / man page / the place where
you got the package.

> I do have 2 other drives with over 1 gig of space available, but my
> root directory and /usr directories are at 86% usage.

You could either move some directory(s) to another file system and
create a symlink to it in its initial location or you could move the
contents of a directory to a special designated partition with enough
free space and then just mount that partition onto the original
directory.

--
Claudio Bley                                 ASCII ribbon campaign (")
Debian GNU/Linux user                         - against HTML email  X