* gcc install
@ 2004-04-18 11:51 anissi
From: anissi @ 2004-04-18 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi

I am a new user to linux and as a experiment want to compile  kernel2.6
But says it need gcc for compile.please guide me how install Gcc in details,
if possible.thank you

* Re: gcc install
@ 2004-10-29 11:32 ` Eljay Love-Jensen
From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2004-10-29 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Reynolds, gcc-help

Hi Mike,

 >Is there a short tutorial on how to install Window's version of gcc on an
x86 machine?

There are several ways to do it.

For pre-built binaries, there are three options:
1) Get MinGW from http://www.mingw.org/

2) Get Cygwin's SETUP.EXE from http://www.cygwin.com/
Run the SETUP program.
Click through the panels until you get to the component selection.
Select EVERYTHING by cycling through the topmost item on the tree.
(This will give you an excellent Unix-ish environment to work in.)
(It also includes MinGW from #1.)

3) As per #2, but be selective.  #2 takes a while to fetch and install.

Your other options are to get the source code, create the compiler (you'll
need a C compiler to bootstrap the process).  Whether you go the MinGW or
the Cygwin route to get GCC is your decision.  I'm not aware of there being
a non-MinGW/non-Cygwin option for the GCC compiler on Windows.

There are FAQs at both sites.

HTH,
--Eljay

* gcc install
@ 2004-10-29  4:56 Michael Reynolds
From: Michael Reynolds @ 2004-10-29  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

Is there a short tutorial on how to install Window's
version of gcc on an x86 machine?

thanks for your help

Mike

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

* Re: gcc install
       [not found] <E1BFApZ-0005NO-00@mailstore.xmission.com>
@ 2004-04-19  1:52 ` llewelly
From: llewelly @ 2004-04-19  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anissi; +Cc: gcc-help

"anissi" <anissi@kowsar.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> I am a new user to linux and as a experiment want to compile  kernel2.6
> But says it need gcc for compile.please guide me how install Gcc in details,
> if possible.thank you

Your linux distro will provide gcc in a  pre-compiled binary package
    form. It usually will be on your install CDs, and availible
    through your distro's web site. You'll need to contact them.

* gcc install
@ 2004-04-18 11:51 anissi
From: anissi @ 2004-04-18 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

@ 2000-10-29 11:42 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2000-10-29 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan; +Cc: gcc-help

On Oct 29, 2000, Ivan <itrail@swko.net> wrote:

> $HOME/gcc/gcc2.95/configure host=i586-pc-linux-gnu (and everyother thing listed

You need 2 dashes before host.  Make it

.../configure --host=i586-pc-linux-gnu

* GCC install
@ 2000-10-29  9:04 Ivan
From: Ivan @ 2000-10-29  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello,

I am trying to get gcc (actually i think g++ is what I really want) on my
machine.

I tried the RPM route, but the dependicies seem to be endless. Thus I am taking
my first shot at the tar.bz2 method.

I put the archive in $HOME/gcc. Then I unpacked and extracted it in the same.

The helpp files say to build it in a seperate directory, thus I created
$HOME/gcc.configured

cd $HOME/gcc.configured

$HOME/gcc/gcc-2.95/configure
>Config.guess failed to determine the host type.  You need to specify one.

$HOME/gcc/gcc2.95/configure host=i586-pc-linux-gnu (and everyother thing listed
in the successfull builds)
>Invalid configuration `host=i586-glibc20-linux': machine `host=i586-glibc20' not recognized

The only thing that partially succeeds is if i use host=localhost, but then the
make, make install routine doesn't install the thing.

Is there a problem with the Host?  or is this wrong:

[root@localhost gcc.configured]# make
[root@localhost gcc.configured]#make intstall

Did  screw up the installation process?  I have distant rumblings in my mind of
make config or the like.....

If this is better suited for the newbie list, please flame me off list, I like
my punishment in privacy!!!  ;^)

Thanks,
Ivan