* gcc installation help
@ 2005-06-03  9:32 Arindam Sen
From: Arindam Sen @ 2005-06-03  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi

I have a Solaris 9 installation on intel and have extracted
gcc-3.4.2.tar.gz.When I am trying to configure I get the following error
message.

sun# ../configure
checking host system type... i386-pc-solaris2.9
checking target system type... i386-pc-solaris2.9
checking build system type... i386-pc-solaris2.9
checking for a BSD compatible install... ../install-sh -c
../configure: cc: not found
*** The command 'cc -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.
sun#

Could you pls help

Regards
Arindam

* Re: gcc installation help
@ 2005-06-05 20:23 ` ziza
From: ziza @ 2005-06-05 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

seems that you are missing a C compiler. For installing
GCC you need a working C compiler on your system since GCC is
distributed as source code and not as binary package. Probably
you didn't install the software development support on your
Solaris machine. Check this with your sysadmin or look into
manuals and install a C compiler native to Solaris.

Cheers
        Ziza

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 02:43:46PM +0530, Arindam Sen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a Solaris 9 installation on intel and have extracted
> gcc-3.4.2.tar.gz.When I am trying to configure I get the following error
> message.
>
> sun# ../configure
> checking host system type... i386-pc-solaris2.9
> checking target system type... i386-pc-solaris2.9
> checking build system type... i386-pc-solaris2.9
> checking for a BSD compatible install... ../install-sh -c
> ../configure: cc: not found
> *** The command 'cc -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
> *** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.
> sun#
>
> Could you pls help
>
> Regards
> Arindam

* Re: gcc installation help
@ 2003-09-08  6:25 ` Erik Christiansen
From: Erik Christiansen @ 2003-09-08  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tommy Young; +Cc: gcc-help

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 01:40:30PM -0400, Tommy Young wrote:
>   What is meant by putting cc or gcc in your path when installing on a
> native system?  I get an error dealing with this when I try to
> configure, but how can I put cc or gcc in my path when it hasn't been
> built yet?  Don't quite understand.  Any help would be greatly
> appreciate.  Thanks.

Tom,

   Try

   $ man bash        # Or csh, tcsh, etc.

   Then search for PATH.

   If "echo $PATH" doesn't show the directory in which you placed the
   compiler, you now know what to do. (If the set command is a mystery,
   then it's time for a book on unix and the shell. ;-)

Regards,
Erik

* gcc installation help
@ 2003-09-05 17:40 Tommy Young
From: Tommy Young @ 2003-09-05 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello,

   What is meant by putting cc or gcc in your path when installing on a
native system?  I get an error dealing with this when I try to
configure, but how can I put cc or gcc in my path when it hasn't been
built yet?  Don't quite understand.  Any help would be greatly
appreciate.  Thanks.

Tom Young

* GCC installation help
@ 2002-03-14 18:49 Ravi Kishore
From: Ravi Kishore @ 2002-03-14 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi...

I am trying to install the GNU GCC compiler version 3.0.2.
I have a previous installation of GCC (version 2.8.1). I downloaded the
source and while configuring set the prefix path to ../gcc (not default)
. After which I gave the command ./configure. That worked fine
without any errors. On the ./bootstrap command, I got the
following error:

I got lot of warnings while compiling that says that trying to compare
unsigned with signed ..???

and another similar warning message looked like this

"
/d05/gcc-3.0/gcc/config/sparc/sparc.c:8060: warning: integer constant is
unsigned in ANSI C, signed with -traditional
"

and there are lots of these warning messagess ..!!

and finally the compilation ended with this message..

gcc  -DIN_GCC -DSVR4   -g -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wtraditional  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -o cc1 \
        c-parse.o c-lang.o c-errors.o c-lex.o c-pragma.o c-decl.o
c-typeck.o  c-convert.o c-aux-info.o c-common.o c-format.o c-semantics.o
c-dump.o  libcpp.a  toplev.o libbackend.a obstack.o alloca.o
../libiberty/libiberty.a
gcc: ../libiberty/libiberty.a: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `cc1'
Current working directory /d05/gcc-3.0.obj/gcc
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `stage1_build'
Current working directory /d05/gcc-3.0.obj/gcc
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `bootstrap'

Could anybody help me out of this situation ..
and yeah i am trying to install this on sparc-sun-solaris2.6

thanks in advance ,
ravi

* GCC installation help
@ 2001-11-05 12:36 Manjula Iyer
From: Manjula Iyer @ 2001-11-05 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi...
I am trying to install the GNU GCC compiler version 3.0.2.
I have cygwin installed and a previous installation of GCC
(version 2.9.5). I downloaded the source from CVS into a
directory called gcc in the root directory of cygwin. After
which I gave the command ./configure. That worked fine
without any errors. On the ./bootstrap command, I get the
following error:

Bootstrapping the compiler
make[1]: Entering directory `/gcc/gcc'
make CC="gcc" libdir=/usr/local/lib LANGUAGES="c " \
        CFLAGS="-g " MAKEINFO="/gcc/missing makeinfo " \
        MAKEINFOFLAGS=""
make[2]: Entering directory `/gcc/gcc'
gcc  -DIN_GCC    -g  -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prot
otypes -Wtraditional -pedantic -Wno-long-long
-DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DGENERATOR_FILE
 -o gengenrtl.exe \
 gengenrtl.o ` case "obstack.o" in ?*) echo obstack.o ;;
esac ` ` case "" in ?*)
 echo  ;; esac ` ` case "" in ?*) echo  ;; esac ` ` case ""
in ?*) echo  ;; esac
 `
obstack.o: In function `print_and_abort':
/gcc/gcc/obstack.c:467: undefined reference to
`_imp__gettext'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [gengenrtl.exe] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/gcc/gcc'
make[1]: *** [stage1_build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/gcc/gcc'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

I have the gettext utility installed as well.
Can someone help me out by replying to this email address
with some suggestions?

Thanks
Manjula