* cross GCC from cygwin to AIX5.1: is there a way for runtime libs
@ 2005-09-24 12:38 JeanNo Helal (spectre)
From: JeanNo Helal (spectre) @ 2005-09-24 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi every body

I have a software application runing under LINUX and Windows including a
shared library that have to run on an IBM AIX5.1 target. It is currently
compiled with GCC 3.3 for all UNIX ports and I was able to build the shared
lib for AIX 5.1 by using GCC 3.3.2 on the AIX 5.1 host machine (native
build).

Now  I would like maintain code source from a PC cygwin based machine. Hence
I tried to build a GCC 3.3.6 cross compiler from i686-pc-cygwin to
powerpc-ibm-aix5.1 (I built binutils 2.14 for the same cross configuration
first without problem) . I had the following main problems:

1) some directory do not provide this cross compilation configuration
(i868-pc-cygwin to powerpc-ibm-aix5.1). This results in that stdlibc++V3
(and V2 with gcc 2.95.3) cannot be generated on my host machine. However gcc
directory CAN be built (GCC 3.3.6).

2) gcc cross build scripts mentioned that 'powerpc-ibm-aix5.1-ld' is known
to non reliabily generate shared librairies, however binutil 2.14 do not
mentionned this problem during the build.

I have also tried several other GCC version (gcc 2.95.3, 3.3.x, 3.4.x and
4.0.1) with the same result.

Of course i tried first the crosstool from Dan Kegel but this time it
didn'nt worked for me because glibc build is not supported for my cross
configuration.

Since I have installed a 'powerpc-ibm-aix5.1-g++' v3.3.6 that seems to work
on my cygwin host but for compilation only.....does anybody could help me
for having a full generation tool.

1) Is it possible to get the required AIX5.1 gcc run time libs (maybe in
binary if it is true that gcc do not support this cross build)  how can i
install it 'by hand' ?

2) Is it true LD is not reliable for this cross compilation configuration
whereas binutils 2.14 built without mentioning any problem (and actually
allows to build a compiler) ?

3) If so is there somewhere another usable linker for AIX5.1 target that
could live with the GCC on my cygwin host ?

Thanks & Regards

J.N. Helal

* Re: cross GCC from cygwin to AIX5.1: is there a way for runtime libs
@ 2005-09-25 23:09 ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2005-09-25 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JeanNo Helal (spectre); +Cc: gcc-help

> 2) Is it true LD is not reliable for this cross compilation configuration
> whereas binutils 2.14 built without mentioning any problem (and actually
> allows to build a compiler) ?

	With the appropriate header files and libraries installed, GCC
itself should be able to function as a cross-compiler producing assembly
files.  The GNU assembler and GNU linker do not work reliably for AIX 5.1
and above.  There is no other cross-assembler and cross-linker for AIX
5.1, as far as I know.

David