* Re: Building gcc-4.1.1
@ 2006-07-03  6:38 Bill McEnaney
From: Bill McEnaney @ 2006-07-03  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor, Bill McEnaney, gcc-help

Ian, The exact error message is, "makeinfo: Cannot find \x7fELFKilled."

Bill

> I don't know what "couldn't find ELF" means.  What is the exact error
> message?

"Pro-choice?"  Then click here.
http://cathinsight.com/morality/saying.htm

* Building gcc-4.1.1
@ 2006-07-03 17:58 Bill McEnaney
From: Bill McEnaney @ 2006-07-03 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi, Everyboy,

Thanks to Ian and to everyone else who thought about thw problem I had.
 To solve it, I installed the current version of texinfo.  So now,
gcc-4.1.1 is running on my workstation.

Bill

@ 2006-07-03  7:03 Bill McEnaney
From: Bill McEnaney @ 2006-07-03  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor, Bill McEnaney, gcc-help

Ian, The "Cannot find ELF" problem seems to have disappeared because
I've just installed texinfo-4.8.  Thanks.

Bill

@ 2006-07-03  6:35 Bill McEnaney
From: Bill McEnaney @ 2006-07-03  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor, Bill McEnaney, gcc-help

Oops! Naturally, Ian is right.  I forgot texinfo.  That's what I get for
spending much of my time programming in Prolog.  :)  The new version of
GNU make won't solve the "Cannot find ELF" problem.

@ 2006-07-03  5:46 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2006-07-03  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill McEnaney; +Cc: gcc-help

@ 2006-07-03  5:42 Bill McEnaney
From: Bill McEnaney @ 2006-07-03  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor, Bill McEnaney, gcc-help

I've just installed GNU make-3.81.  After I ran "makeinfo --version",
the workstation complained that it couldn't find ELF.  Since I had read
that GNU's strip command caused that complaint, I deleted that command
from /usr/local/bin.  Maybe I still get the error message about makeinfo
at least partly because the workstation can't find ELF.

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

The top level configure script requires makeinfo to be at least a
certain version.  For 4.1.1, makeinfo needs to be version 4.2 or
higher.  Otherwise you will get the above message.  So the first thing
you should check is "makeinfo --version".

@ 2006-07-03  3:47 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2006-07-03  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill McEnaney; +Cc: gcc-help

@ 2006-07-03  1:02 Bill McEnaney
From: Bill McEnaney @ 2006-07-03  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi, Folks,

You maybe remember that in another e-mail, I told you that my Sunblade
100 workstation keeps makeinfo in /usr/local/bin, gmake still insists
that makeinfo is missing from my system.  Here's the message I got when
I tried to rebuild gcc-4.1.1 earlier tonight.  Does the message help?

Thanks.

Bill

WARNING: `makeinfo' is missing on your system.  You should only need it if
         you modified a `.texi' or `.texinfo' file, or any other file
         indirectly affecting the aspect of the manual.  The spurious
         call might also be the consequence of using a buggy `make' (AIX,
         DU, IRIX).  You might want to install the `Texinfo' package or
         the `GNU make' package.  Grab either from any GNU archive site.
gmake[3]: *** [fastjar.info] Error 1
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/share/src/gccobj/fastjar'
gmake[2]: *** [all] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/share/src/gccobj/fastjar'
gmake[1]: *** [all-fastjar] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/share/src/gccobj'
gmake: *** [all] Error 2