* Supress macro expansion
@ 2008-01-02  9:09 vsdeepthi
From: vsdeepthi @ 2008-01-02  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi All,
 I want to preprocess the file but suppress macro expansion. Is this
possible using gcc?
I have tried "gcc -fdirectives_only -E" and "gcc -fpreprocessed -E".
Any inputs?

* Re: Supress macro expansion
@ 2008-01-02 13:16 ` John Love-Jensen
                     ` (7 more replies)
From: John Love-Jensen @ 2008-01-02 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vsdeepthi, MSX to GCC

Hi vsdeepthi,

>  I want to preprocess the file but suppress macro expansion. Is this
> possible using gcc?

Short answer:  no.

Long answer:  yes, you have access to the GCC source code and you could
munge that to make it do what you want.

> I have tried "gcc -fdirectives_only -E" and "gcc -fpreprocessed -E".
> Any inputs?

You'll have to write your own preprocessor.

Fortunately, there is a C/C++ preprocessor called Wave already written by
Hartmut Kaiser using Boost Spirit that you could use as a starting point and
customize from there.

http://spirit.sourceforge.net/repository/applications/wave.html

Boost Spirit is a EBNF-like representation in C++.  (Technically it is an
object oriented recursive descent parser generator framework implemented
using template meta-programming techniques.  The C++ alternative to using
flex/bison or lex/yacc.)

http://www.boost.org/libs/spirit/

Boost is a grab bag of incredible enhancements to the Standard C++ Library.

http://www.boost.org/

HTH,
--Eljay

* Re: Supress macro expansion
@ 2008-01-02 15:37   ` John Love-Jensen
                     ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: John Love-Jensen @ 2008-01-02 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vsdeepthi, MSX to GCC

Hi vsdeepthi,

>  I want to preprocess the file but suppress macro expansion. Is this
> possible using gcc?

Short answer:  no.

Long answer:  yes, you have access to the GCC source code and you could
munge that to make it do what you want.

> I have tried "gcc -fdirectives_only -E" and "gcc -fpreprocessed -E".
> Any inputs?

You'll have to write your own preprocessor.

Fortunately, there is a C/C++ preprocessor called Wave already written by
Hartmut Kaiser using Boost Spirit that you could use as a starting point and
customize from there.

http://spirit.sourceforge.net/repository/applications/wave.html

Boost Spirit is a EBNF-like representation in C++.  (Technically it is an
object oriented recursive descent parser generator framework implemented
using template meta-programming techniques.  The C++ alternative to using
flex/bison or lex/yacc.)

http://www.boost.org/libs/spirit/

Boost is a grab bag of incredible enhancements to the Standard C++ Library.

http://www.boost.org/

HTH,
--Eljay

* Re: Supress macro expansion
@ 2008-01-02 15:51   ` John Love-Jensen
                     ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: John Love-Jensen @ 2008-01-02 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vsdeepthi, MSX to GCC

Hi vsdeepthi,

>  I want to preprocess the file but suppress macro expansion. Is this
> possible using gcc?

Short answer:  no.

Long answer:  yes, you have access to the GCC source code and you could
munge that to make it do what you want.

> I have tried "gcc -fdirectives_only -E" and "gcc -fpreprocessed -E".
> Any inputs?

You'll have to write your own preprocessor.

Fortunately, there is a C/C++ preprocessor called Wave already written by
Hartmut Kaiser using Boost Spirit that you could use as a starting point and
customize from there.

http://spirit.sourceforge.net/repository/applications/wave.html

Boost Spirit is a EBNF-like representation in C++.  (Technically it is an
object oriented recursive descent parser generator framework implemented
using template meta-programming techniques.  The C++ alternative to using
flex/bison or lex/yacc.)

http://www.boost.org/libs/spirit/

Boost is a grab bag of incredible enhancements to the Standard C++ Library.

http://www.boost.org/

HTH,
--Eljay

* Re: Supress macro expansion
@ 2008-01-02 17:00   ` John Love-Jensen
                     ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: John Love-Jensen @ 2008-01-02 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vsdeepthi, MSX to GCC

Hi vsdeepthi,

>  I want to preprocess the file but suppress macro expansion. Is this
> possible using gcc?

Short answer:  no.

Long answer:  yes, you have access to the GCC source code and you could
munge that to make it do what you want.

> I have tried "gcc -fdirectives_only -E" and "gcc -fpreprocessed -E".
> Any inputs?

You'll have to write your own preprocessor.

Fortunately, there is a C/C++ preprocessor called Wave already written by
Hartmut Kaiser using Boost Spirit that you could use as a starting point and
customize from there.

http://spirit.sourceforge.net/repository/applications/wave.html

Boost Spirit is a EBNF-like representation in C++.  (Technically it is an
object oriented recursive descent parser generator framework implemented
using template meta-programming techniques.  The C++ alternative to using
flex/bison or lex/yacc.)

http://www.boost.org/libs/spirit/

Boost is a grab bag of incredible enhancements to the Standard C++ Library.

http://www.boost.org/

HTH,
--Eljay

* Re: Supress macro expansion
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-01-02 21:36   ` John Love-Jensen
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: John Love-Jensen @ 2008-01-02 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vsdeepthi, MSX to GCC

Hi vsdeepthi,

>  I want to preprocess the file but suppress macro expansion. Is this
> possible using gcc?

Short answer:  no.

Long answer:  yes, you have access to the GCC source code and you could
munge that to make it do what you want.

> I have tried "gcc -fdirectives_only -E" and "gcc -fpreprocessed -E".
> Any inputs?

You'll have to write your own preprocessor.

Fortunately, there is a C/C++ preprocessor called Wave already written by
Hartmut Kaiser using Boost Spirit that you could use as a starting point and
customize from there.

http://spirit.sourceforge.net/repository/applications/wave.html

Boost Spirit is a EBNF-like representation in C++.  (Technically it is an
object oriented recursive descent parser generator framework implemented
using template meta-programming techniques.  The C++ alternative to using
flex/bison or lex/yacc.)

http://www.boost.org/libs/spirit/

Boost is a grab bag of incredible enhancements to the Standard C++ Library.

http://www.boost.org/

HTH,
--Eljay

* Re: Supress macro expansion
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-01-03  1:22   ` John Love-Jensen
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John Love-Jensen @ 2008-01-03  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vsdeepthi, MSX to GCC

Hi vsdeepthi,

>  I want to preprocess the file but suppress macro expansion. Is this
> possible using gcc?

Short answer:  no.

Long answer:  yes, you have access to the GCC source code and you could
munge that to make it do what you want.

> I have tried "gcc -fdirectives_only -E" and "gcc -fpreprocessed -E".
> Any inputs?

You'll have to write your own preprocessor.

Fortunately, there is a C/C++ preprocessor called Wave already written by
Hartmut Kaiser using Boost Spirit that you could use as a starting point and
customize from there.

http://spirit.sourceforge.net/repository/applications/wave.html

Boost Spirit is a EBNF-like representation in C++.  (Technically it is an
object oriented recursive descent parser generator framework implemented
using template meta-programming techniques.  The C++ alternative to using
flex/bison or lex/yacc.)

http://www.boost.org/libs/spirit/

Boost is a grab bag of incredible enhancements to the Standard C++ Library.

http://www.boost.org/

HTH,
--Eljay

* Re: Supress macro expansion
                     ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-01-03  3:01   ` John Love-Jensen
From: John Love-Jensen @ 2008-01-03  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vsdeepthi, MSX to GCC

Hi vsdeepthi,

>  I want to preprocess the file but suppress macro expansion. Is this
> possible using gcc?

Short answer:  no.

Long answer:  yes, you have access to the GCC source code and you could
munge that to make it do what you want.

> I have tried "gcc -fdirectives_only -E" and "gcc -fpreprocessed -E".
> Any inputs?

You'll have to write your own preprocessor.

Fortunately, there is a C/C++ preprocessor called Wave already written by
Hartmut Kaiser using Boost Spirit that you could use as a starting point and
customize from there.

http://spirit.sourceforge.net/repository/applications/wave.html

Boost Spirit is a EBNF-like representation in C++.  (Technically it is an
object oriented recursive descent parser generator framework implemented
using template meta-programming techniques.  The C++ alternative to using
flex/bison or lex/yacc.)

http://www.boost.org/libs/spirit/

Boost is a grab bag of incredible enhancements to the Standard C++ Library.

http://www.boost.org/

HTH,
--Eljay

* Re: Supress macro expansion
                     ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-01-03  3:28   ` John Love-Jensen
From: John Love-Jensen @ 2008-01-03  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vsdeepthi, MSX to GCC

Hi vsdeepthi,

>  I want to preprocess the file but suppress macro expansion. Is this
> possible using gcc?

Short answer:  no.

Long answer:  yes, you have access to the GCC source code and you could
munge that to make it do what you want.

> I have tried "gcc -fdirectives_only -E" and "gcc -fpreprocessed -E".
> Any inputs?

You'll have to write your own preprocessor.

Fortunately, there is a C/C++ preprocessor called Wave already written by
Hartmut Kaiser using Boost Spirit that you could use as a starting point and
customize from there.

http://spirit.sourceforge.net/repository/applications/wave.html

Boost Spirit is a EBNF-like representation in C++.  (Technically it is an
object oriented recursive descent parser generator framework implemented
using template meta-programming techniques.  The C++ alternative to using
flex/bison or lex/yacc.)

http://www.boost.org/libs/spirit/

Boost is a grab bag of incredible enhancements to the Standard C++ Library.

http://www.boost.org/

HTH,
--Eljay

* Re: Supress macro expansion