* New Frontend
@ 2010-03-16 16:45 Varol Okan
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Varol Okan @ 2010-03-16 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Ouch,

looking on how to get started with writing a front end ( or modifying an
existing one I found this snippet :
-----------
I agree with you, Tom.  There comes a point where maintaining an example
front-end to aid developers comes at a greater expense than just helping
the developers of new front-ends (or improving the documentation).
------------

So here is my question, where can I find documentation about creating a front-
end which is up-to-date. It seems
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7884 ( from 2005 ) is a good start though
I don't know how valid this 5 year old information is.

Ditto for
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/GCC-Frontend-HOWTO.html ( from 2002 )

My goal for this project would be to modify C++ to allow easier multi-threaded
programming, add garbage collection, utilize a runtime environment which
should handle scheduling, and thread pools, communications etc. and make all
of this as logically suitable as possible. Oh and it should be all integral
part of the programming language.

I know that none of my ideas is new but some one has to put it all together,
so why not me.

So I guess I am asking for advice on how to best go about doing this while
avoiding 'old' information, which is widespread throughout the Internet.

Thanks for the/any advice up front.

Varol :)

* Re: New Frontend
@ 2010-03-16 16:53 ` Thomas Martitz
From: Thomas Martitz @ 2010-03-16 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Am 16.03.2010 17:14, schrieb Varol Okan:
> Ouch,
>
> looking on how to get started with writing a front end ( or modifying an
> existing one I found this snippet :
> -----------
> I agree with you, Tom.  There comes a point where maintaining an example
> front-end to aid developers comes at a greater expense than just helping
> the developers of new front-ends (or improving the documentation).
> ------------
>
> So here is my question, where can I find documentation about creating a front-
> end which is up-to-date. It seems
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7884 ( from 2005 ) is a good start though
> I don't know how valid this 5 year old information is.
>
> Ditto for
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/GCC-Frontend-HOWTO.html ( from 2002 )
>
> My goal for this project would be to modify C++ to allow easier multi-threaded
> programming, add garbage collection, utilize a runtime environment which
> should handle scheduling, and thread pools, communications etc. and make all
> of this as logically suitable as possible. Oh and it should be all integral
> part of the programming language.
>
> I know that none of my ideas is new but some one has to put it all together,
> so why not me.
>
> So I guess I am asking for advice on how to best go about doing this while
> avoiding 'old' information, which is widespread throughout the Internet.
>
> Thanks for the/any advice up front.
>
> Varol :)

C#? I don't know how to write plugins but modifying C++ for your plans
seems strange to me.

Best regards and sorry for the off-topic.

* Re: New Frontend
@ 2010-03-16 17:52 ` Steve Teale
From: Steve Teale @ 2010-03-16 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Varol Okan; +Cc: gcc-help

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 12:14 -0400, Varol Okan wrote:
> Ouch,
>
> looking on how to get started with writing a front end ( or modifying an
> existing one I found this snippet :
> -----------
> I agree with you, Tom.  There comes a point where maintaining an example
> front-end to aid developers comes at a greater expense than just helping
> the developers of new front-ends (or improving the documentation).
> ------------
>
> So here is my question, where can I find documentation about creating a front-
> end which is up-to-date. It seems
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7884 ( from 2005 ) is a good start though
> I don't know how valid this 5 year old information is.
>
> Ditto for
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/GCC-Frontend-HOWTO.html ( from 2002 )
>
> My goal for this project would be to modify C++ to allow easier multi-threaded
> programming, add garbage collection, utilize a runtime environment which
> should handle scheduling, and thread pools, communications etc. and make all
> of this as logically suitable as possible. Oh and it should be all integral
> part of the programming language.
>
> I know that none of my ideas is new but some one has to put it all together,
> so why not me.
>
> So I guess I am asking for advice on how to best go about doing this while
> avoiding 'old' information, which is widespread throughout the Internet.
>
> Thanks for the/any advice up front.
>
> Varol :)

Have you looked at D?

Steve

* Re: New Frontend
@ 2010-03-16 17:59   ` Varol Okan
From: Varol Okan @ 2010-03-16 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On Tuesday 16 March 2010 12:43:42 pm Steve Teale wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 12:14 -0400, Varol Okan wrote:
> > Ouch,
> >
> > looking on how to get started with writing a front end ( or modifying an
> > existing one I found this snippet :
> > -----------
> > I agree with you, Tom.  There comes a point where maintaining an example
> > front-end to aid developers comes at a greater expense than just helping
> > the developers of new front-ends (or improving the documentation).
> > ------------
> >
> > So here is my question, where can I find documentation about creating a
> > front- end which is up-to-date. It seems
> > http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7884 ( from 2005 ) is a good start
> > though I don't know how valid this 5 year old information is.
> >
> > Ditto for
> > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/GCC-Frontend-HOWTO.html ( from 2002 )
> >
> > My goal for this project would be to modify C++ to allow easier
> > multi-threaded programming, add garbage collection, utilize a runtime
> > environment which should handle scheduling, and thread pools,
> > communications etc. and make all of this as logically suitable as
> > possible. Oh and it should be all integral part of the programming
> > language.
> >
> > I know that none of my ideas is new but some one has to put it all
> > together, so why not me.
> >
> > So I guess I am asking for advice on how to best go about doing this
> > while avoiding 'old' information, which is widespread throughout the
> > Internet.
> >
> > Thanks for the/any advice up front.
> >
> > Varol :)
>
> Have you looked at D?
>
> Steve

Yep, downloaded it this am and started to look into it though it is a lot to
start with. That's why I wanted to look into a simple example and play a bit
up-front.

Thank you for the recommendation though.

Varol :)

* Re: New Frontend
@ 2010-03-18  0:59 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2010-03-18  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Varol Okan; +Cc: gcc-help

Varol Okan <Varol.Okan@movingsatellites.com> writes:

> So here is my question, where can I find documentation about creating a front-
> end which is up-to-date.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no such documentation.

Since you are considering a modification of C++, the logical starting
place is the existing C++ frontend.

Ian

* Re: New Frontend
@ 2010-03-18 14:14   ` Varol Okan
From: Varol Okan @ 2010-03-18 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: gcc-help

Yep,
this is where I am going to start. Thanks for the help.

I will do some reading and try to learn as much as possible about the
task at hand and will most likely bother you guys here a bit more in due
time.

There was a mentioning of the internal documentation. Where/what exactly
is this doc. I hope it is not the source code itself, which is quite
large f I may say so :)

Thanks

Varol :)

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Varol Okan <Varol.Okan@movingsatellites.com> writes:
>

>> So here is my question, where can I find documentation about creating a front-
>> end which is up-to-date.
>>

> To the best of my knowledge, there is no such documentation.
>
> Since you are considering a modification of C++, the logical starting
> place is the existing C++ frontend.
>
> Ian

* Re: New Frontend
@ 2010-03-18 17:54     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2010-03-18 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Varol Okan; +Cc: gcc-help

Varol Okan <varol.okan@movingsatellites.com> writes:

> There was a mentioning of the internal documentation. Where/what exactly
> is this doc. I hope it is not the source code itself, which is quite
> large f I may say so :)

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/

Ian

* Re: New Frontend
@ 2010-03-18 19:27     ` Diego Novillo
From: Diego Novillo @ 2010-03-18 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Varol Okan; +Cc: Ian Lance Taylor, gcc-help

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 09:34, Varol Okan
<varol.okan@movingsatellites.com> wrote:

> I will do some reading and try to learn as much as possible about the
> task at hand and will most likely bother you guys here a bit more in due
> time.

You will find pointers to internal documentation, articles and
presentations at http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GettingStarted

Diego.