* Help!! 2nd Request!!!
@ 2001-01-04  7:20 Ben Ocean
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ben Ocean @ 2001-01-04  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailman-users; +Cc: gcc-help, python-list

Hi;

How can I install
Mailman if I canÂ’t install GCC??? How can I install GCC when the instructions
for installing it are written in Greek??? Look, IÂ’m not brain-dead, but it
appears that whoever wrote the following intended to keep GCC from being
installed by all but a handful of techno-nerds:

Like most GNU software, GCC must be configured before it can be
built. This document describes the recommended configuration procedure for both
native and cross targets.

<<<

I just want to get Mailman up and running. IÂ’ll install it on a
few sites on the machine. IÂ’m not developing anything. So I assume thatÂ’s *native*?

We use srcdir to
refer to the toplevel source directory for GCC; we use objdir to refer to the toplevel
build/object directory.

<<<

ThatÂ’s nice. Plain English, this means what? Could someone give me
an *example* to show me how this applies?

First, we highly
recommend that GCC be built into a separate directory than the sources which
does not reside within the source
tree. This is how we generally build GCC; building where srcdir == objdir
should still work, but doesn't get extensive testing; building where objdir is a subdirectory of srcdir is unsupported.

<<<

First off, this sentence doesnÂ’t even make sense (the English is
so poor). Can someone give me an example of this one, too?

Second, when configuring a native system, either "cc" or
"gcc" must be in your path or you must set CC in your environment before
running configure. Otherwise the configuration scripts may fail.

<<<

What path? An example here would help as well, thank you.

IÂ’m obviously not as sophisticated as you high-level developers
that put this page together, but as a suggestion, if youÂ’d like to get people
that are ramping up the computer language curve using your software, take a
page out of Jakob NielsenÂ’s book (any of them) and make the site a little more
user-friendly. If you want to keep it a private club, then hey, youÂ’re doing a
great job, keep up the good work. IÂ’d *still* appreciate it if someone would be
so kind as to help me get what appears to be the killer app in mail programs
going on my machine by answering these simple questions. Thanks.

BenO

* Re: Help!! 2nd Request!!!
@ 2001-01-04  9:15 ` Jeff Sturm
From: Jeff Sturm @ 2001-01-04  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Ocean; +Cc: gcc-help

> How can I install Mailman if I can?t install GCC??? How can
> I install GCC when the instructions for installing it are
> written in Greek??? Look, I?m not brain-dead, but it appears
> that whoever wrote the following intended to keep GCC from
> being installed by all but a handful of techno-nerds:

Well, several have tried to help.  My suggestion is to help us help you.
Specifically:

1) I know nothing about Mailman; why exactly does it require GCC?
2) What platform are you trying to build for?  Does it have a C compiler now?
3) You may find it simpler to install a binary release of GCC than attempting to
configure and build the source release.  Did you check if one is available for
your system?

And lastly:

4) Don't post in HTML, even as a multipart message.  It makes your message more
difficult to read and quote for me, and many others I suspect.

--
Jeff Sturm
jeff.sturm@commerceone.com

* RE: Help!! 2nd Request!!!
@ 2001-01-04 10:19   ` Ben Ocean
From: Ben Ocean @ 2001-01-04 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jeff.sturm; +Cc: gcc-help

How can I install Mailman if I can?t install GCC??? How can
> I install GCC when the instructions for installing it are
> written in Greek??? Look, I?m not brain-dead, but it appears
> that whoever wrote the following intended to keep GCC from
> being installed by all but a handful of techno-nerds:

Well, several have tried to help.  My suggestion is to help us help you.
Specifically:

1) I know nothing about Mailman; why exactly does it require GCC?
I haven't a clue, but they're very specific about it on the Mailman site:
download GCC first!
2) What platform are you trying to build for?  Does it have a C compiler
now?
My platform is RedHat 6.2. I apologize that I don't know if it has a C
compiler yet: my sys-admin is having *technical difficulties* right now so I
can't ask him. As I recall, they didn't build anything fancy over the RedHat
install that had to do with C.
3) You may find it simpler to install a binary release of GCC than
attempting to
configure and build the source release.  Did you check if one is available
for
your system?
Hmmm. Well, if they've got them for anything, they've got them for RedHat,
right? I went here:
http://www.sco.com/skunkware/devtools/index.html#gcc
and got confused :(  They talk a lot about skunkware, but I'm not built on
skunkware (that's different than RedHat, right?)

And lastly:

4) Don't post in HTML, even as a multipart message.  It makes your message
more
difficult to read and quote for me, and many others I suspect.
Help me here. I just switched over to Outlook from Eudora (long story) and
it made Word my default processor. I know the bold and italics tags came
over last time (sorry about that!), but is this coming across as plain
ASCII, or do I need to change the default? My machine obviously reads my
posts just fine. Thank you for your help!
BenO

--
Jeff Sturm
jeff.sturm@commerceone.com

* Re: Help!! 2nd Request!!!
@ 2001-01-04 10:46     ` Jeff Sturm
From: Jeff Sturm @ 2001-01-04 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Ocean; +Cc: gcc-help

Ben Ocean wrote:
> 1) I know nothing about Mailman; why exactly does it require GCC?
> I haven't a clue, but they're very specific about it on the Mailman site:
> download GCC first!

Any specific version of GCC needed?  Do you need a C++ compiler or just C?

> 2) What platform are you trying to build for?  Does it have a C compiler
> now?
> My platform is RedHat 6.2. I apologize that I don't know if it has a C
> compiler yet: my sys-admin is having *technical difficulties* right now so I
> can't ask him. As I recall, they didn't build anything fancy over the RedHat
> install that had to do with C.

GCC should already be there.  Log into the machine and just enter "gcc
--version". If it says something like "egcs-2.91.66" you might be good to go, no
need to download/configure/install anything (unless Mailman needs a specific
version).

If instead you see "gcc: command not found" you may not have it (though that
would be very unusual for a Red Hat OS).

> 3) You may find it simpler to install a binary release of GCC than
> attempting to
> configure and build the source release.  Did you check if one is available
> for
> your system?
> Hmmm. Well, if they've got them for anything, they've got them for RedHat,

Red Hat normally bundles gcc in an RPM package.  It's part of the standard
server or workstation install.

> right? I went here:
> http://www.sco.com/skunkware/devtools/index.html#gcc
> and got confused :(  They talk a lot about skunkware, but I'm not built on
> skunkware (that's different than RedHat, right?)

Yes, that's for SCO Unix.  It won't do you any good at all.

> 4) Don't post in HTML, even as a multipart message.  It makes your message
> more
> difficult to read and quote for me, and many others I suspect.
> Help me here. I just switched over to Outlook from Eudora (long story) and
> it made Word my default processor. I know the bold and italics tags came
> over last time (sorry about that!), but is this coming across as plain
> ASCII, or do I need to change the default? My machine obviously reads my
> posts just fine. Thank you for your help!

I didn't have any trouble reading your last message.

--
Jeff Sturm
jeff.sturm@commerceone.com

* Re: Help!! 2nd Request!!!
@ 2001-01-04 13:02 ` Michael Still
From: Michael Still @ 2001-01-04 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Ocean; +Cc: mailman-users, gcc-help, python-list

* Re: [Mailman-Users] Help!! 2nd Request!!!
@ 2001-01-07 11:02 ` J C Lawrence
From: J C Lawrence @ 2001-01-07 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Ocean; +Cc: mailman-users, gcc-help, python-list