* Question about gcc + binutils builds
@ 2001-01-02 10:42 Robert A Nesius
From: Robert A Nesius @ 2001-01-02 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Greetings,
I recently built gcc + binutils on HPUX 11.00. Both builds had the same
--prefix arguments. After the installation, I noticed that gcc wasn't
using the 'nm' out of it's private path. A coworker of mine familiar
with gcc builds told me that binutils need to be installed with a 'g'
prefix for gcc to find them in it's bin area and use them. I haven't
seen this documented anywhere, and wanted to confirm this. Also, does
the gcc build query for these binaries during build time and decide
which one to use, or does it look for a 'gnm' on the fly (eg: privite
bin directory, then PATH env variable)?

I noticed on HPUX 11.00, I had to link <prefix>/bin/gnm
to /usr/bin/nm for gcc to work for more involved builds.
I was using the 1.10 binutils though.  Maybe a snap shot
would actually work.

Thanks much,

-Rob

--
#include <sig.h>
Robert Nesius             rnesius@ichips.intel.com    503.712.2181

* Re: Question about gcc + binutils builds
@ 2001-01-02 15:24 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2001-01-02 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert A Nesius; +Cc: gcc-help

  In message < Pine.LNX.4.30.0101021036490.19019-100000@plxw0032.pdx.intel.com >y
ou write:

  > Greetings,
  > I recently built gcc + binutils on HPUX 11.00. Both builds had the same
  > --prefix arguments. After the installation, I noticed that gcc wasn't
  > using the 'nm' out of it's private path.
That sounds like a bug.  GCC should have found nm in its internal path
without the 'g' prefix.

Can you send me the output of compiling your program with
gcc -v -Wl,-v <rest of your link line>

So that I can look into what might be wrong.

  >  A coworker of mine familiar
  > with gcc builds told me that binutils need to be installed with a 'g'
  > prefix for gcc to find them in it's bin area and use them.
That is incorrect.

jeff